Umpire Gear

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2016
For all of those umps out there, what is your recommendation for gear for a brand new ump? For now I’m just starting out this spring with local leagues and maybe younger travel ball tournaments. Maybe in a year or two I’ll transition into some older (16u/18u) tournaments. I’m assuming I should be looking at starter “kits” to get the basic equipment (shins, chest, mask)? The Champro Professional series seems to be the best bang for the buck...I’m open to other suggestions too. I realize I need shoes, shirts, and pants as well.
Thanks for any help!
Bill

May 29, 2015
I have to run to an appointment, so I’ll chip in later ... but what is your budget?

Softball and baseball are often cited as the most expensive sports to get started in. The nice thing is you can use the same gear for both. Will you be doing both?

Jun 24, 2016
Just softball. I am realistic about the start up costs because I need everything. Shoes alone will be around $100. I’m trying to get my feet wet this spring so I’ll probably only be doing a few nights a week, so maybe I can get away a little cheaper on shirts and pants until next fall? I am on the coaching staff of my daughter’s travel team. She’s a junior so I’ll have much more free time when she graduates! Appreciate any suggestions.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
OK...

There is a brisk trade in used equipment at https://umpire-empire.com/forum/56-buy-sell-or-trade/

Don't cheap out on shin guards - this is the #1 place you get hit.
Buy Smitty pants - don't cheap out there.
For younger games can get away with just umpire shoes and not have plate shoes if you buy the extended guard shin guards. Which will save you $100.
Indicator - cheap and plastic. Get 2 or 3.
Timer - 3 for $10 cheap kitchen ones from the local store or Amazon
Umpire notebook - spend on this - see below.
Mask - there is always second hand barely used masks for sale because for many umpires this is a collecting habit so they are always buying new ones and getting rid of old ones.

First mask buy used if you can and then buy expensive if you stay with it. My current mask is $$$ but it has to take 65+mph softballs not 45mph. I bought my first mask used at a play it again.

For first time out there I recommend:
Champro Pro-Plus Umpire Chest Protector - https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball...CP135_Champro-Pro-Plus-Umpire-Chest-Protector This is more than enough for starting out and it is lightweight,

Shoes - buy the 3n2 Reaction umpire shoes if you can. They are generally $50 cheaper than the New Balance and you can spend more money when you commit to it. I am in New Balance now but the 3n2's were fine. Make sure they are ALL black. Like everywhere, even the sole. Many black umpire shoes for other sports are not and some people are strict about it. Seriously they are.

Shins - I love my Wilsons MLB, but the Champro ones are good value at $65 https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball...ampro-Pro-Plus-Triple-Knee-Umpire-Shin-Guards But again if you ARE going to spend up, this is where to do it.

Umpires Notebook - https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball...e-Lineup-Card-Holder-Game-Card-Referee-Wallet You WANT this. It makes life easier keeping everything in place and straight and it fits anywhere. The 5" is too small for my liking so this is the one I use.

Belts - 1 3/4" and non patent leather: https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball...6605_1-34-Genuine-Leather-Referee-Umpire-Belt Don't buy gloss - there really is no reason not to but some orgs again are strict about it for no reason really. But not worth the hassle of not going non-patent.

Pants - Smitty pants - don't cheap out there. Make sure you get heather grey and check with your local ump group to see if they let you use the nicer poly ones (which are not traditional heather so some orgs won't let you wear them). Also, get combo pants - you can use them for plate and field. No need to get separate pairs for each role. Lastly, get fitted waist pants over the ones with expander waists. Expander waist sounds like a good idea, but they stretch when you load up your umpire bags with balls and other garbage and then you are forever adjusting your pants.

I like the indicators with the inning counter because they fit in my hand better.

And I like the wood-handled plate brushes.

And a cheap bag to put it all in.

That should do you.

May 29, 2015
You are going to find out a lot of things are personal preference. Buying umpire gear sucks because you cannot just go to the store and try something on. Most items are going to be bought sight-unseen.

I’ll agree with some of what @marriard said and I will disagree with some of it ... so here goes:

Hats/Shirts — Going ”cheap” may not be an option, depending on what association you are working. USA Softball and USSSA sell their own stuff (USA through their vendors, USSSA through Boombah) so you don’t have many options. Even if you are just working “a few nights a week” I would recommend two of each (two shirts, two hats). Also, be prepared to replace them each year. You may not need to, but be prepared to. If you are working NFHS (whatever your State association is), you will likely have a bit more flexibility on where to buy from and what shirts/hats you can use.

Pants — This is an area I went cheap on my first few years. I literally wore heavier-duty dress pants that I found at Penney’s and Kohl’s. They were 1/3 the cost, but I probably ended up spending just as much replacing them over the first few years. Umpire pants seem pricey ... no, they ARE pricey, but they are worth it and will last multiple years, even with heavy use. If you can afford a pair right off the bat, do it. A combo pair is great for a few nights a week. If you start working weekend tournaments, you will want multiple pairs (and then might want separate plate and base pants).

Plate shoes — This is one place it easy to “put off the expense” — don’t do that. I am a fan of the 3N2s myself, but I have wider feet and like the fit. I also like that they don’t have a ton of “decoration” on them. I’m getting ready for my 10th year and am just now looking to replace my first pair. Epic Sports has a good price on them (I have not ordered from them yet, but have it bookmarked.) Do not go “patent leather”. Your shoes need to be shined, they don’t need to shine.

Base shoes — any comfortable ALL-BLACK sneaker will do. I’ve been brought up with the “it must be polishable” mentality, but that seems to be going away. Some guys like the black and white look (I don’t — personal preference).

Belt — like marriard said, do NOT go shiny. Black, good fit, and 1 3/4 inch ... you will want that width for holding your ball bags.

Ball bags — I disagree with marriard here. Do NOT go cheap. This is one area where cheap really does mean crappy quality. This is probably the most under-appreciated piece of equipment an umpire will use and yet it gets some of the most use. I upgraded to these this year: https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball...3_Smitty-Deluxe-XL-Expandable-Umpire-Ball-Bag and have LOVED them. Like hats/shirts, some organizations may make you buy their ball bag though (USSSA’s are the WORST).

OK, now for the protection ...

Chest protectors — That chest protector marriard suggests is a good starter and fine for what you will be working. However, one thing to consider is heat and how you handle it. Here is another good low-profile one: https://www.hibbett.com/adams-umpire-low-profile-chest-protector-12/33111931.html

One of the best rated for protection and handling heat is actually also one of the cheapest ... it is a bit bulkier but provides more impact resistance and is vented: https://www.hibbett.com/schutt-xv-hdx-umpire-chest-protector/5102D.html?dwvar_5102D_color=0001. (Sign up for Hibbit’s texts and you’ll get a 20% off $50 that can be used on either of these.)

Personally, I use this one: https://www.gerrydavis.com/product/B17PR126475/DaviShield-Umpire-Chest-Protector.html. A lot of guys will rag on Gerry Davis gear, but I got it cheap when I started and I love the fit and flexibility of it. I wish it breathed a bit better, but it is lightweight (low profile). Some will say “you can only use it for softball” but I wear it for varsity baseball and the few college games I have worked so far.

Shinguards — I also wear DavisShins https://www.gerrydavis.com/product/B17PR126575/DaviShins-Umpire-Leg-Guards.html. As a former catcher, I like these for their 2-strap design. Again, I like the comfort and have never had an issue taking a hit off of them. (NOTE: if you want gear that is going to make you impervious, good luck!)

Face mask — there are actually four components to your facemask: the mask, the pads, the straps, and the throat protection. Most people buy one thing and are done.

MY OPINION: the MOST important piece is the pads. I use a very inexpensive Champro mask that I bought at Scheels off the rack. However, I upgraded the pads with these this year and will probably never use anything else: https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball...Team-Wendy-Umpire-Mask-Replacement-Pads-Black

Like marriard said, you can find used masks and chest protectors as some guys are constantly buying new ones, modifying them, and moving on. I don’t get it myself, but that’s me.

Which brings me to my best advice: find local umpires and start asking about used gear. If you have a local association (that is worthwhile), join it!

I agree on the cheap wooden handled brush (classier look than the plastic ones). I prefer a metal indicator (I like the heavier feel) with the innings (again, bigger for my fat hands). These are things you will replace every year and will want to keep a spare in your bag.

You will also want a good gear bag. Large luggage is a decent place to start, but if you are going to spend the money you may as well get an actual gear bag.

Some other odds and ends ...

A good brush and inexpensive shoe polish kit to clean your shoes after EVERY GAME.

An extra pair of shoe laces.

The line-up card holder marriard linked to. I picked one up this year and LOVE it. Never knew what I was missing with the cheap $4 USA Softball one. This also helps give you a more professional appearance when making your first impression at the plate meeting.

A red and a green gel pen for your lineup card notes. Don’t use blue and/or black since the coaches will. You want your notes to stand out to you.

A good flipping coin! Don’t use currency or a solid colored coin.

Black wraparound sunglasses — ALL BLACK, no colors. This sounds odd, but I prefer to wear safety glasses as they are more durable and comfortable. (I even have a clear pair for windy night games since my eyes are sensitive.)

Wondering what else I have accumulated in my bag ...

So much for “cheap”. ;)

Ballpark estimates:
Hats $15-$20 each
Shirts $30-$40 each
Pants $60-$70 each
Plate shoes $100
Base shoes $60
Mask $80
Shinguards $80
Chest Protector $80
Indicator $6
Brush $6
Ball bags $15 (x2)
Lineup card holder $20 (for the good one ... $5 for a cheap one)
Belt $20
Misc: $20
Gear Bag $125

Last edited:

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Epic sports is great...but shipping is expensive and never free no matter what you spend. Also takes a little while to
get to you. Have ordered thru there a couple times and wouldn't hesitate if you needed something there.

May 29, 2015
Epic sports is great...but shipping is expensive and never free no matter what you spend. Also takes a little while to
get to you. Have ordered thru there a couple times and wouldn't hesitate if you needed something there.

Thank you core! I’ve had them bookmarked for new plate shoes and possibly a gear bag, but I haven’t actually used them yet.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Looks like @The Man In Blue and I are pretty close to agreement which is good.

I forgot one thing - a bag to hang on the fence/net and keep water, sunscreen, your spare indicator & pens, keys, wallet, and something to keep your energy up (I like oranges). I have a small igloo backpack which is really good for this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802