Ueno's dropball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Edy

May 24, 2010
Just sharing a video of a beautiful dropball I was lucky to find

[video=youtube_share;W389BnEwj40]http://youtu.be/W389BnEwj40[/video]

This is the original video on youtube => 上野選手 ドロップ

My Japanese is a little rusty but I'm pretty sure the guy says it's a "falling" FB.
I can only assume it's not just a slower FB with a more pronounced arc. It really breaks and it's really fast

Jun 18, 2010
Are you sure that is a drop ball and not some off speed or change up? It looks like the batter is pretty far in front of that pitch is why I asked.

Edy

May 24, 2010
Are you sure that is a drop ball and not some off speed or change up? It looks like the batter is pretty far in front of that pitch is why I asked.

At first I thought that too.. but at the last part of the original video the narrator mentions it's a dropball and you can also see the word "drop" on the screen:

See translation for ドロップ here

Dropball.jpg

Unfortunately we don't have the ball speed on the screen but assuming the video is 30 fps and it takes roughly 12 frames (0,4 sec) to the ball hit the catcher's glove (approximately 38 feet), we can estimate the speed as being approx. 65 mph.

One last thing, IMO the ball in the video has topspin at release and Ueno's change has backspin/sidespin on it. Besides, both motion and grip of her changeup are a bit different

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Awesome stuff! Guessing--I would call this an off-speed drop based on her motion going into release. Killer shot and thanks for sharing! Can't wait to play with this when time allows.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Awesome stuff! Guessing--I would call this an off-speed drop based on her motion going into release. Killer shot and thanks for sharing! Can't wait to play with this when time allows.

Ueno%27s%20Drop.gif

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Unfortunately we don't have the ball speed on the screen but assuming the video is 30 fps and it takes roughly 12 frames (0,4 sec) to the ball hit the catcher's glove (approximately 38 feet), we can estimate the speed as being approx. 65 mph.

I got it @ 59.97fpm

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck