U10 Team playing U12

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 26, 2008
I am the coach of a very competitive U10 team and was thinking about moving up in league play and play in the U12 division. I still want to take them to U10 tournaments but need competition in our league. Do you think changing balls back and fourth would matter? Expecially pitching?

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I am the coach of a very competitive U10 team and was thinking about moving up in league play and play in the U12 division. I still want to take them to U10 tournaments but need competition in our league. Do you think changing balls back and fourth would matter? Expecially pitching?

It was hard for DD #3 to switch back and forth between 12U and 10U and still pitch in both. At least where we are, 10U uses 11" balls while 12U uses 12" balls. That really threw her off a bit, more than the change of distance from 35' to 40'.

In her case, she had to stop pitching at 12U to keep from getting confused.

OTOH, the difference between 12U and 14U never bothered her, even changing the pitching distance form 40' to 43'.

Mar 28, 2013
when my DDs teams played up the pitchers adapted just fine, The biggest adjustment for us was when we went back to 10u it took quite a few games to start hitting again because the distance threw off our batting timing so for us it affected the batting way more than the pitching.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Results will vary but if you make sure your pitchers have some extra time to warm up they should be able to switch back and forth. Same with the fielders.

JMO:
I am opposed to the idea of an entire 10U Team moving up in a Rec. League to 12U. I am sure our League would not allow it. OK with the individuals moving up and being disputed to different Teams but not the Team sticking together as a unit.

Jun 7, 2013
If the balls are different sizes, I think that it's going to complicate matters for your team. I'd go one way or the other.

Dec 27, 2014
DD's PC uses mostly 12" balls. Before DD started seeing her she did not have any nine year olds or even any under 12 so all she ever accumulated was 12" balls. First lesson it took a few minutes for DD to get the feel of the twelves but now she hardly notices. PC has since added some 11's and DD usually warms up with 12's and finishes off with 11's. No big deal either way, now.

She subbed for a short handed majors team and the pitching, and competition, was definately better than the 10u teams she normally sees. She was not out of her league though. Uh, even if she was out of her league. :D

If your league allows I would definately play up if you have the players, just get in some extra 11" and 35' practice before tournaments.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
My DD spent the season two years ago switching between 12" balls for LL and 11" for 10U travel. It wasn't an issue. The extra pitching distance essentially meant she wasn't particularly effective from 40 feet, but she adapted OK.

It was a MUCH bigger deal switching from hitting from 35' to 40' and back. That throws off a lot of batters.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
My DD spent the season two years ago switching between 12" balls for LL and 11" for 10U travel. It wasn't an issue. The extra pitching distance essentially meant she wasn't particularly effective from 40 feet, but she adapted OK.

It was a MUCH bigger deal switching from hitting from 35' to 40' and back. That throws off a lot of batters.

Interesting. For my DD, it was completely the opposite. It messed up her pitching until she stopped pitching 12U and only pitched 10U. Then, starting in the fall, she never pitched 10U again, so no problem.

As far as the hitting, it didn't bother her at all. She really didn't face great pitchers in 10U, and the coach usually had her bunt (since she was fast, and could run to 1st before they figured out what to do with a bunt). She faced MUCH better pitching in 12U rec than 10U TB, since there were some really good 12U TB pitchers in the rec league. She was hitting the 12U pitchers better than ever after playing 10U TB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01