U.S.A./USSSA age chart changes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2023
Does anyone know if Alliance will continue following USA Softball for the 2024 season (which will change the age cutoff to August 31)? Alliance has not updated their website.

The information I got is they are just pass-through, so it is whichever sanction that event is being played under (ie USSSA/USA). But not sure have seen an official statement to that effect.

Oct 20, 2023
Any new updates for this? I read USSSA was going to have their rules meeting in October but don't know if it happened

Nov 29, 2009
It looks like they're just aligning it with the school year now as opposed to the calendar year.
That is exactly it. Many years ago the age cutoff was aligned with the school grade year. For some reason someone thought it would be beneficial to have the cutoff be January 1st originally. When they figured out that was mistake they moved the cutoff to December 31st when people took advantage of the 1/1 cutoff.

The 12/31 normally works OK except for 2nd year 14U players and high school ball. They will be playing HS ball leaving teams short players in the spring.

May 13, 2021
That is exactly it. Many years ago the age cutoff was aligned with the school grade year. For some reason someone thought it would be beneficial to have the cutoff be January 1st originally. When they figured out that was mistake they moved the cutoff to December 31st when people took advantage of the 1/1 cutoff.

The 12/31 normally works OK except for 2nd year 14U players and high school ball. They will be playing HS ball leaving teams short players in the spring.
What was there to take advantage of if the cutoff was 12/31 vs 1/1. It really starts second year 12u when most kids start playing school ball. Except for all the girls that were held back, which is a lot more than I ever thought.

May 13, 2021
No way to make everyone happy for anything. That is just not realistic. What should be realistic is that the sanctions band together and do what is right for the girls.
I don’t know what do right by the girls means. No matter where they put the date somebody is going to be the youngest players on the team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi