Who’s out

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2022
Usssa b runner on third. Batter interference on a throw down to third. Umpired called the batter out but I thought it was the runner closest to home that was out….please clarify for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
The batter caused the interference, so the batter is out and runners return to the last base touched at the time of the interference ... UNLESS ... well, let's take care of this first:

USSSA
Rule 7 Batting
Sec 12. A batter shall not interfere with the catcher’s fielding or throwing by leaning over home plate, by stepping out of the batter’s box, by making any other movement which hinders action at home or the catcher’s attempt to play on a runner, or by failing to make a reasonable effort to vacate congested area when there is a throw to home and there is time for the batter to move away. PENALTY: Dead ball; the batter is out.

This is the same in NFHS and USA. NCAA is a little different and we can come back to that if people like. For now, I want to stick to the three common "under 18" codes and look at a twist (not an exception) to that call:

If the batter is called out on strikes, the batter is no longer a batter. They are simply a member of the offense. Interference by a member of the offense (not a batter, not a runner) results in the runner closest to home being called out in NFHS and USA.

USSSA's verbiage is a little fuzzy on this, but it appears they say the runner being played on, not necessarily the one closest to home. Notes 2 and 3 mention the runner closest to home, but they also specify a retired runner and the batter-runner (of which a retired batter is neither).

Rule 8 Baserunning
Sec 18. Any runner is out when the runner
H. Is prevented from being put out by an illegal act by anyone connected with the team.

NOTE 1: If, in the judgment of the Umpire, this interference is an attempt to prevent a double play and occurs before the runner is put out, the immediate trailing runner shall also be called out.
NOTE 2: If a retired runner interferes and, in the judgment of the Umpire, another runner could have been put out, the Umpire shall declare the runner closest to home out.
NOTE 3: If the batter-runner interferes, the Umpire shall call the batterrunner and the runner who has advanced the nearest to home base out.
NOTE 4: If two fielders try to field a batted ball and the runner contacts one or both, the Umpire shall decide which one is entitled to field the ball and that fielder only is entitled to protection.
NOTE 5: If a batted ball is misplayed but the fielder in still making an initial play and the runner contacts the fielder, this is interference. If the misplayed ball bounds away so that it is no longer within a step and a reach (in any direction) and contact then occurs as the fielder and runner collide, this is obstruction.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles