U.S.A./USSSA age chart changes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 1, 2021
actually, if the teams were always playing up into the next age in fall, versus trying to play down, it would have little effect. and drop trying to play the odd years (9u, 11u, 13u etc). first year aged teams just need to suffer thru, learn and improve.
Right now, those teams will have to move up in January. With this change, there will be members of that team that would be eligible to play the entire next year (until September) in that age group.

Jun 20, 2015
actually, they move up and play the next age in September. ex 2013 birth years. ie all that turn 10 in before September 1 2023, are all playing 10U fall of 2023 and summer of 2024. at that point, majority would be 11, balance 11 in few months , and have to play 12U in next season of 2024 and 2025.

Sep 1, 2021
actually, they move up and play the next age in September. ex 2013 birth years. ie all that turn 10 in before September 1 2023, are all playing 10U fall of 2023 and summer of 2024. at that point, majority would be 11, balance 11 in few months , and have to play 12U in next season of 2024 and 2025.
Yes, but I'm talking about the 2013 birth years that were born between 09/01 and the end of the year. They now have an extra year of eligibility at 10U.

Mar 18, 2023
What "should" have been done is phase this in over time. When they drop it on everybody with only 1 year notice, it kind of screws up your team makeup. Until this recent rule change, 10/12ths of my team HAD to move to 12u, which pretty much decided that we would all move up. Now, 5/12ths of the team HAVE to move up and the other 7/12ths CAN stay down. That makes it really complicated to decide what to do next year. Parents who have "slightly" older kids could feel like they were just abandoned and parents with "slightly" younger kids could feel pressured to move up, when they are now allowed to stay down.

USA should have implemented it in 8U first, then wait 2 years and implement in 10U, etc, etc. Yes it would have taken 8+ years to fully implement, but it would actually have been the best way to do it. Teams and coaches would have known full well, going into a season exactly who can stay down and who has to move up. Changing the rules mid cycle for 10u,12u,14u,16u seems kind of like a knee-jerk reaction to a problem nobody was having.

I know there are going to be parents and coaches of ultra elite teams that don't care about who plays on their team as long as they WIN, but I have been trying very hard to cultivate a team that works well together and are actual friends at the end of the season, not a bunch of mercenaries looking for the best place to showcase their skills for perspective colleges.....

Jun 20, 2015
What "should" have been done is phase this in over time. When they drop it on everybody with only 1 year notice, it kind of screws up your team makeup. Until this recent rule change, 10/12ths of my team HAD to move to 12u, which pretty much decided that we would all move up. Now, 5/12ths of the team HAVE to move up and the other 7/12ths CAN stay down. That makes it really complicated to decide what to do next year. Parents who have "slightly" older kids could feel like they were just abandoned and parents with "slightly" younger kids could feel pressured to move up, when they are now allowed to stay down.

USA should have implemented it in 8U first, then wait 2 years and implement in 10U, etc, etc. Yes it would have taken 8+ years to fully implement, but it would actually have been the best way to do it. Teams and coaches would have known full well, going into a season exactly who can stay down and who has to move up. Changing the rules mid cycle for 10u,12u,14u,16u seems kind of like a knee-jerk reaction to a problem nobody was having.

I know there are going to be parents and coaches of ultra elite teams that don't care about who plays on their team as long as they WIN, but I have been trying very hard to cultivate a team that works well together and are actual friends at the end of the season, not a bunch of mercenaries looking for the best place to showcase their skills for perspective colleges.....
easy, sounds like 12/12ths are moving up...

Feb 3, 2023

My DD birthday is end of December and I mean the end, the way you were wanting to implement this, she would never benefit from the rule change, even over a period of 8 years. She would always be the youngest kid on the team.

The rule is applied to try to get kids of the same school year playing against kids in the same grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
My DD birthday is end of December and I mean the end, the way you were wanting to implement this, she would never benefit from the rule change, even over a period of 8 years. She would always be the youngest kid on the team.
So what...if they had never implemented the change she would have somehow figured out how to deal with the travesty of being born late in the year...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying