Two Tee drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
Do the math ... if you set the tee further away, and assume a line-drive at a particular angle, then it stands to reason that the height of the ball resting on the tee will need to be higher. 2" height at 18" away isn't that much different in terms of a line-drive angle than would be 6.7" in height at 5-ft away.

I fully understand the math. I was just wondering about the difference in setups. Why would one be chosen over the other? Just personal preference?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I fully understand the math. I was just wondering about the difference in setups. Why would one be chosen over the other? Just personal preference?

The closer the tee, the easier it will be to realize the objective of one ball colliding into another ball.

I personally go with the greater distances ... more than 5-ft ... and make a game out of it. Sure beats swinging blindly into a screen.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
The basic idea is to establish an approximate projected angle or zone the ball will be hit into every time the hitter hits a ball. The tee should be set about 4.5 feet from the net and line up with the vertical centered rope and with the tee at 29.5 inches high. The tee height of 29.5 is what sets the 26 and 15 degree rope angles.

The angles of 26 degrees (51 in. high) and 15 degrees (39 in. high) will give you a projected distance of 190 feet plus or minus your ability to strike the ball consistently. The 26 degrees is the minimum angle to put it out of a major league ball park of 325 feet and 15 degrees represents 190 feet

We always hit into a net, We do not swing blindly into a net! All of our nets are set up so we can alway have feedback from what our students are doing. They are marked as above with colored rope.

Apr 1, 2010
DD's hitting instructor uses this drill too. They did it last week as a matter of fact. She had the second tee set up several feet away, like Coach Fastpitch mentions, but she specifically said that you could do the drill with the two tees closer together (varying the height to keep the trajectory right for the line drive)--and that the closer the tees are, the easier it is to hit the second ball. DD's instructor said she doesn't expect them to hit the second ball every time, but she wants them to try to have the batted ball always pass close to the second ball, say within a radius of about 6 inches. DD hit the second ball several times, which got her all excited. I don't think the other girl did, but she came close a few times. It seems like a pretty good drill to me.

Apr 1, 2010

Perhaps start them out with a short distance between the tees and keep increasing the distance as they have more and more success? You want a drill to keep them motivated to improve---hard to stay motivated if it's either too hard or too easy...

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
View attachment 2833
DD hitting area. I like getting feed back. Some things still to add. Going to paint a yellow ball at pitchers hand height on tarp. Will give a ball to look at instead of just down at tee. Will give 2 tee drill a try.
The basic idea is to establish an approximate projected angle or zone the ball will be hit into every time the hitter hits a ball. The tee should be set about 4.5 feet from the net and line up with the vertical centered rope and with the tee at 29.5 inches high. The tee height of 29.5 is what sets the 26 and 15 degree rope angles.

The angles of 26 degrees (51 in. high) and 15 degrees (39 in. high) will give you a projected distance of 190 feet plus or minus your ability to strike the ball consistently. The 26 degrees is the minimum angle to put it out of a major league ball park of 325 feet and 15 degrees represents 190 feet

We always hit into a net, We do not swing blindly into a net! All of our nets are set up so we can alway have feedback from what our students are doing. They are marked as above with colored rope.

Oct 16, 2008
SE Michigan
Discovered the usefulness of this two-tee drill by accident when doing our three-tee drill...called tee tracking drill.

We set 1st tee at about 40 feet at P release height. 2nd tee at about 18 feet at desired pitch type height. 3rd at plate at desired contact height. Ball placed on each tee. Batter's eyes track ball from tee to tee to tee while calling our cue coil-heel-fire. "Coil" referring to starting hip cock and weight transfer. "Heel" referring to finishing 100 percent weight transfer and rear arm pull. "Fire" meaning uncoil and throw. Sometimes vary the cues depending on focus of session. The players seem to prefer this type of tee work and I like it since enforces sequence timing, eyes tracking ball path (not motion) while working on mechanics. It's also interesting to vary the vertical and horizontal locations of the middle and plate tee to somewhat simulate different pitch types...drops, curves, risers etc.

Long story short...even at 18 feet players hit the middle ball off the tee about once or twice per bucket....always gets a big laugh!

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thank you all for the explanation and advice. sounds like a good drill if administered correctly I think he had both tees at the same height but if there was a 2" difference, I might not have seen it.

thanks again!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut