Two Steps Forward One Step Back

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2013
So this past week we finally had a chance to get 3 pitching workouts in close enough succession to not feel like random workouts. There were a couple things that happened that were very encouraging. It kind of belongs in the brag posts but I thought they might also be encouraging to parents of younger pitchers.

One of them was when she was trying to throw her drop ball (it has been very inconsistent this past year) and she was getting frustrated and after a while I said ok let's move on to rise ball and she said "No I want to get this! I'm just doing what Ken told me to do and I don't want to give up". So she proceeded to work on her grip until bingo she started nailing 12-6 spin again and was able to replicate it about 15 times. It was just so cool to have her not give up, and pull from what she'd been taught and not be so rigid like she can be, and tweak her grip and get it working.

The other one was very similar. When she had been throwing change ups and I was really pleased with them. She was hitting my glove (mostly) and I was complimenting her on it and she was the one to say "no they're too fast and I think I'm slowing my motion down too much". Usually those would be my lines.

And then finally I said ok how about hitting some spots and we'll be done just cause we were laughing together and I was in a good mood and ready to keep going, but we were already at about 90 mins and I'd promised to do soft toss. So she again takes the lead and says "today was about spin, lets do our location work on Wednesday." I just couldn't argue. They really do listen and they really do grow up and it becomes more their thing. I'm happy and a bit sad at the same time.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06