Two Scorekeeping questions re: playing with eight players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Today our opponent started the game with nine players. One of their girls got hit by a pitch and came out of the game.

Her spot in the order came up two more times after that. Both times the other team took an out.

My questions are exclusively from a scoring standpoint:

1) Does the pitcher get the put out for each of those outs? The pitcher gets the put out when a runner leaves early because she has the ball. I assume the same principal applies here.

2) Should those two ghost outs count as a Batter Faced? It's kind of weird to have a put out in a spot, but not also record a batter faced (even though, quite literally, there was no batter to face). I feel like not counting it would mess with the math. If the pitcher gets a put out, I'd have to count that as an at bat.

And for those who say "Who cares?" and all that, I do. I'm trying to keep accurate records for our high school team.

Apr 12, 2015
Today our opponent started the game with nine players. One of their girls got hit by a pitch and came out of the game.

Her spot in the order came up two more times after that. Both times the other team took an out.

My questions are exclusively from a scoring standpoint:

1) Does the pitcher get the put out for each of those outs? The pitcher gets the put out when a runner leaves early because she has the ball. I assume the same principal applies here.

2) Should those two ghost outs count as a Batter Faced? It's kind of weird to have a put out in a spot, but not also record a batter faced (even though, quite literally, there was no batter to face). I feel like not counting it would mess with the math. If the pitcher gets a put out, I'd have to count that as an at bat.

And for those who say "Who cares?" and all that, I do. I'm trying to keep accurate records for our high school team.
I'm not sure there is any clarification on how to officially score this. Its in NFHS rule 7-4-1, but just says when that batters turn comes up in the lineup and immediate dead ball is called and the batter is ruled out.

1651372634814.png

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
How can you "credit" any player with a putout in this situation?

Because any time there's an out, someone has to get credit for the put out.

I think @Crabby_Bob could have it right.

The pitcher get credit for the put out when a runner leaves early in USA Softball, but NCAA Softball scoring rules say that it's the nearest fielder. Since NCAA teams can't play with only 8 players, there's no guidance on how to score that. I'm surprised the lower levels, where playing with 8 is allowed, don't address it. I'm going to go with the catcher though since batting out of order most closely resembles what happened.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021
MI
Just got off the phone with my state association rules interpreter re: 8 players-how to score. Per A. Osters, MHSAA it is just an 'out', no AB charged to anyone, no PO credited to anyone. When you go to prove the box score at the end of the day you just need to remember to account for the out via a 'note'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00