Twin 1 Hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Big Dave

Sitting on a bucket
Jan 11, 2013
Oregon
Here is Twin 1 - 15 years old. I see a few things myself - but curious what you guys see!!

Thanks in advance!!

-Dave

Big Dave

Sitting on a bucket
Jan 11, 2013
Oregon
To me, she seems to be dropping her hands - which is leading to the bat drag, right? I've been battling to try and get her to stop dropping her hands so maybe I need to try some new drills. We've done some slo-motion swings (with tee) so she can feel the right movement, shadow swings (no ball), and various little drills to fire the elbow and hands forward.

Have you guys used one armed swings - either top or bottom hand - to try and fix this. The good news, when I showed her the videos I took and slowed them down for her, one of the first things she said was 'look how bad my hands drop'. Both twins are actually really into 'learning' their swings, so that's exciting for me! They see and understand that even as successful they have been so far, they have a ways to go and many things to learn.

The other thing I saw was on her load, her back knee get outside her foot and that knee turns back towards the catcher. Any good drills or quick fix for this? Not a big concern to you guys? I've read some things about going a little pigeon toed, but I'm hesitant to make that change. Maybe her being aware of it might be enough to make the adjustment? Thanks again!

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Have you guys used one armed swings - either top or bottom hand - to try and fix this. The good news, when I showed her the videos I took and slowed them down for her, one of the first things she said was 'look how bad my hands drop'. Both twins are actually really into 'learning' their swings, so that's exciting for me! They see and understand that even as successful they have been so far, they have a ways to go and many things to learn.

My DD also suffered with bat drag for a while. I did use some one handed drills and they did seem to help. I used the bottom hand drill far more than the top hand drill (IMO my DDs swing was being controlled too much by her top hand). Once I was satisfied with how her bottom hand was working I switched to what I will call an "open top hand drill" (not sure what it is really called). Basically she holds the bat normally with her bottom hand. The top hand is on the bat but is open so that it doesn't play a significant role in the swing. When doing this drill, I have her stop at contact. At least in her case, doing these drills seemed to help her better understand the use of her hands. Another thing that really helped my daughter defeat her drag was learning to "rock the u" (there are a number of threads here that discuss that). Her bat was too "vertical" before and I think this led to her dropping her hands. By getting the bat more tilted during her load (knob pointed towards catchers feet), the dropping seemed to disappear. This is still a work in progress for us...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1