Turnover drop?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Throwing a movement pitch does not excuse a pitcher from not locating their pitch. A pitcher is expected to work on mastering each pitch to the point that they can reasonably locate it.

You really need to understand pitching.

I understand you would prefer not to use "fastball" or "drop ball"...I guess we'll just have to use catchers signs.

So, when a pitcher gets behind in the count and she has to throw a strike, she throws a "1". Why doesn't she throw a "2" or "3"? Because she is able to locate the "1" better...it doesn't move as much, so she has a better chance of putting it exactly where she wants it. The batter has a better chance of hitting it, but that is the game.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
like you described so that the fingers are on the topside of the ball coming into brush and then the brush helps accelerating a cutting action over the top of the ball?

You might be right. My DD got a lot better in college, which is where she picked up brush interference.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You really need to understand pitching.

I understand you would prefer not to use "fastball" or "drop ball"...I guess we'll just have to use catchers signs.

So, when a pitcher gets behind in the count and she has to throw a strike, she throws a "1". Why doesn't she throw a "2" or "3"? Because she is able to locate the "1" better...it doesn't move as much, so she has a better chance of putting it exactly where she wants it. The batter has a better chance of hitting it, but that is the game.

No problem Sluggers, if you keep working at this you’ll eventually get it. I haven’t given up on you.

So you believe a ball with the same downward rotation can only be considered a dropball if it achieves a certain spin rate? At 32RPS you are okay classifying it as a dropball. However, at 10RPS you consider it something else. What exactly is your cut-off? The reality is that both are dropballs, with the difference being the spin rate.

I don’t know about you … but often enough when I see a pitcher increase the velocity of a particular pitch, they tend to also increase the spin rate … speaking in terms of when significant improvement is being made.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Things are obviously really slow over in the Theological Hitting Forum; however, I am looking forward to a "Does the Sun Really Rise?" thread.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
GM, despite some of the somewhat rude responses that some folks felt were important to make at times, I think progress was made. For example JJ is finally seeing the importance of the brush in terms of the compressed pronation of the forearm. Now if we can continue in a civil manner then that would be nice, but if not then that is okay too. Either way, the truth has its way of working to the foreground.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
GM, despite some of the somewhat rude responses that some folks felt were important to make at times, I think progress was made. For example JJ is finally seeing the importance of the brush in terms of the compressed pronation of the forearm. Now if we can continue in a civil manner then that would be nice, but if not then that is okay too. Either way, the truth has its way of working to the foreground.

JJ has always seen the importance of brush w/regards to compressed pronation. JJ just applied that to a drop ball cutting action over the top of the ball to add spin. JJ also is not sold on this concept because he has not seen video of any top drop ballers using this mechanic.

You would be more welcome here if you didn't act like a condescending twit all the time. does you Cliff Clavin routine work IRL? Or do you only bless us with this Douchy persona?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
JJ has always seen the importance of brush w/regards to compressed pronation. JJ just applied that to a drop ball cutting action over the top of the ball to add spin. JJ also is not sold on this concept because he has not seen video of any top drop ballers using this mechanic.

You would be more welcome here if you didn't act like a condescending twit all the time. does you Cliff Clavin routine work IRL? Or do you only bless us with this Douchy persona?

Glad you see the light.

As for acting like a condescending twit ..... you win the prize my friend.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Yes-you came, you posted, you convinced. I am more enlightened by your presence, you schooled sluggers, you schooled me, anyone lurking was dazzled by your brilliance. But it will take us some time to digest all this new insight and even more for us to write the tales of your adventures and compose the songs of tribute. In the meantime I siuggest you help the heathens see the light back in the hitting forums.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06