Turning the barrel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
I have, I've picked up a bat and literally tried. Elbow juts up an awkward angle and I loose control of the bat. Thats if I'm trying what the guy did in the video... now if I try to dup Bustos swing, that feels natural. Having trouble seeing correlation between what the instructor is doing and what Bustos is doing. Of course they are both turning the barrel, one way just looks a lot more awkward then the other... sorry Ian not seeing any hitters doing what is instructed in their swings. Maybe somebody can provide a side by side and explain to me how what is being instructed is performed by a good hitter during a game swing... or even practice for that matter

Your question isn't new, I haven't participated in the boards for a while but there's always something being said about HI instruction. You can find old message threads where the older video of Rich and the boy is used as an example of dumping the barrel. It seems to me that's not the intention. It seems the focus of the drills are for feel and to get a better visual of the relationship of hands and forearms. I won't win any technical arguments and I am not an instructor, just a dad.

Anyway, where you may see a similarity between what Rich is showing and what the high level hitters are doing is establishing early rearward acceleration (though not everyone will say that happens or agrees upon how) and maintaining something of an equidistant relationship between the forearms. Once you take the more vertical drill and turn it more diagonal to horizontal, in a plane parallel with the shoulder rotation, like a swing, it may make more sense?

Jul 27, 2017
Shawn,

I love how you start threads to get content going. I appreciate how you have been doing it for a while. I think you started at another website a few years ago and I saw you start posting to a few other websites. I just wonder when you will come around and finally have your aha moment with teach's stuff. Do you have any kid's that play ball? Going through struggles with your children can really open your eyes quickly to change... imo of course. Thanks for all you do.
5frames,

That is messed up what he is showing to that kid.

Jul 27, 2017
move on from the merry go round stuff...
Shawn,

I love how you start threads to get content going. I appreciate how you have been doing it for a while. I think you started at another website a few years ago and I saw you start posting to a few other websites. I just wonder when you will come around and finally have your aha moment with teach's stuff. Do you have any kid's that play ball? Going through struggles with your children can really open your eyes quickly to change... imo of course. Thanks for all you do.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
My niece, who was like my kid was who I coached. I coached her teams. She now has kids who I will be coaching and I plan on taking on more kids, just not coaching teams.

I actually have come to some of HI ideas on my own, have heard before, have thought of or came to the same conclusions. There is no new information. Just timing or when you bring something forward that makes the difference.

May 3, 2014
Can you explain "out" from the body? I understand the concept of turning the barrel. Makes sense for sure. Just having some trouble relating what is being instructed in some of these videos

Can you see the "out from" in this clip? Would a cue of turning the top hand knuckles to the ball location help you understand "out from?"

sbcGkD.gif

Dec 4, 2013
I honestly was not trying to be funny. Simply comparing the differences given regarding the roles being instructed for rear arm usage. In one demonstration the rear arm is yanking the barrel rearward. In the other demonstration the top hand is serving as a pivot point with a pulling action taking place through the lead arm.

Shawn referred to the barrel yank instruction as messed up. IMO he is correct.

Since you believe that Rich doesn't understand how to teach the rear arm (Or the front arm for that matter) and his instruction is "messed up", I am also really interested in hearing how YOU teach the rear arm.

What is proper rear arm instruction? How do you instruct your students the correct way?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Can you see the "out from" in this clip? Would a cue of turning the top hand knuckles to the ball location help you understand "out from?"

sbcGkD.gif

Cutrope.gif

Illustration of centripetal force (red vector labeled FT, the force of tension in the rope). When the rope is cut, the centripetal force (tension in the rope) will no longer act on the object. So it will no longer be kept in that circular path by FT and will fly off on a tangent.
Some "scissors" are used early for outside pitches, and some are used later for inside pitches...

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Some "scissors" are used early for outside pitches, and some are used later for inside pitches...

I just wanted to duplicate this part of the post, because I think it is very important when talking about "out from". IMO, it is something that often gets confused.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
My niece, who was like my kid was who I coached. I coached her teams. She now has kids who I will be coaching and I plan on taking on more kids, just not coaching teams.

I actually have come to some of HI ideas on my own, have heard before, have thought of or came to the same conclusions. There is no new information. Just timing or when you bring something forward that makes the difference.

BTW I get to coach twins, who have very different swings. One is much closer to a good swing and the other needs more work. I will be posting clips soon.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

sbcGkD.gif

Nice clip.

There are some out there that look at this and have a feel of throwing the bat head down to the ball ... with the hands kept up.

The top hand action that I believe you are describing is more of a swivel. You don't actually muscle a turn of the top hand here, its more a flow of energy being made with 'direction' that has the top hand swiveling and the barrel being snapped at the ball.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma