TSSAA Rules for private lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2014
Just a quick scenario. Lets say I'm a HS baseball/softball Head Coach governed under TSSAA rules. Can I give private lessons to players on my HS team and get paid for giving those lessons? If not, what would be the penalty if I were in violation of TSSAA rules?

May 9, 2013
I'm sure there is a rule somewhere...you sure can't practice with them out of season. Regardless of rule it would be highly unethical as the appearance would obviously be that those that paid would get preferential treatment. It would be like a CEO having employees pay to get private training to get better at their job.

Jul 31, 2014
I agree. I know someone who does this and tried to explain that it was unethical to them and there would surely be consequences, but sometimes wise words fall on deaf ears! Just wondering if anyone actually knows what penalty will be when he gets called out on it. Small town Tennessee where word gets around quick.

Oct 25, 2009
When I give private lessons I do not charge any player that is, or could be, on my team. The way I thin about it, if the player is a starter it might be said by other players (or parents most likely) that my private lesson player only made her position because she pays me. If the player doesn't make the position she wants then she could question if my instruction was up to par. Either way is a no-win.

I just can't see charging a player I coach. As a matter of fact we encourage players to practice outside of normal team practices. Charging them kind of goes against the grain.

Like others have said, unethical!

Jul 2, 2013
I agree. I know someone who does this and tried to explain that it was unethical to them and there would surely be consequences, but sometimes wise words fall on deaf ears! Just wondering if anyone actually knows what penalty will be when he gets called out on it. Small town Tennessee where word gets around quick.

Do not know the TN rules. these HS rules vary by state.

To call out a HS Coach for directly coaching a player on his HS team "unethical" is really a stretch, and in my opinion incorrect.

Most of the coaches who do this are softball coaching addicts (for lack of a better word). They are performing a service. And yes part of that service is to make his/her HS team the best it can be.

As long as the coaches follow the state rules to the letter, and know the rules, it is all good.

The softball community gets very small when the players near adulthood. Break the rules, and you will be caught. Follow the state rules to the letter, and there is nothing unethical about that.

Tryout forms, times, stats, etc. have very little to do with this issue, only that those who do are making sure to cover their butts. HS softball is political most always. This issue is only another aspect of it. But not the only aspect.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors