Tryouts a few months later

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2009
At younger ages and when dealing with blind tryouts (i.e. no pre tryout scouting ) coaches will tend to pay attention to things that they cannot be wrong about and dismiss what a parent might consider concrete proof of thier kids ability.

Coaches are looking for

Speed (never has a slump), Size/strength (can't be changed quickly) as secondary concerns they will trust their ability to properly evaluate throwing and fielding.

They will be leary of trying to evaluate blind hitting (other than mechanics) because that is better evaluated over long periods of time because small samples can be misleading. Point of coaching is that you should be able to take a group of bigger/stronger/faster kids and coach them up to beat the tar out of a similarly skilled group of smaller/weaker/slower kids.

I'd read an article about college lacrosse scouts and that emphasized the same thing, they are looking at speed and size/strength independent of skill level and looking for players that have at least two of the three and if they had there pick of only two they would want the big/fast kids and teach them the skills.

Mar 25, 2011
Being a very fast player, speed never has a slump is not a motto I tend to live by. Speed has more sore muscles and tweaked hamstrings than I care to think about. I would agree that the eyeball test seems to go to the big/strong/fast kids. Especially the big/strong side. It is ironic that those same kids generally at 12U are just the early bloomers, and often, because they just bloomed early, good mechanics got ignored for the raw strength factor.

I have a group of young girls that I'm seen growing up from 7 years old. Some early, some late bloomers. I can't wait to see the arms and legs develop over the upcoming years. It's going to be an exciting ride.

Feb 9, 2011
Your DD probably played well at the position the coaches or other coaches kids already hold down. Yes that goes on alot, even in travel ball you have a bunch of parents that kids played the outfield for some rediculious reason (sarcasim) and they started thier own team so they want outfielders to back up the superstars.

Last edited:

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
I formed a team. We had 6 kids from rec willing to move into travel and make a run at it. We then held open workouts three times and then one formal tryout. Despite doing this I had to spend a lot of time running personal tryouts due parents schedules and wishing to be discreet. Much of this is a show as people really feel their player is special. I do not make fun of this b/c every kid is special in someway but sometimes one on one tryouts are not the best way to showcase you player. It is really hard to gauge team chemistry, parent chemistry and other things outside of performance. With all the time a travel team spends together all these things really matter. I saw 20 players and chose 10. Leaving an 11th slot open for fall. Reason: So we could play as a team where all 10 existing players got lots of time and then choose a player based on what game time experience showed us we needed as a team. In 6 tournaments over the fall we lost one to sickness, one to off the field issues and another was allowed to sail into the sunset as we could not meet parental expectations. Bottom line...there are many reasons for change in situation. I am not upset by any of these things. We think we know how something is going to work out and then reality sinks in. Bottom line....I have no expectations when it comes to player retention. We have picked up one player who has been a great addition but still need 2 more for Spring. SO NO needing players late is not a sign of only needed to fill out a roster in order to have bench warmers. I would not call players back who did not try out for me unless I felt they met the parameters for what type of team I was building. This is different based on the coach. Example: Many coaches are looking for big girls who hit well. I am looking for fast players with quickness game knowledge (or at least great listening skills). Everyone is different. All strategies work out differently. Sometimes is all based on the persons perspective viewing the situation. Sounds like your Daughter would have made my team. But I could see many where she would not based on my limited experience.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
If you had a tryout, and by the stats you took, a player was clearly in the top 4 players, wouldn't you take her? I was shocked by some of the teams that didn't invite her, and then even more surprised by the teams that did. Now, a few months later, those teams are still looking for players...posting on website forums... why not call up players that tried out for you? Is that considered bad form....? It just seems strange to me a bit. We wouldn't change team, but don't they know that maybe the player they need already tried out of them...?

There's no way to know what the coach might've been thinking. You say your daughter rated in the top 4, but the coaches might've seen it differently. Or, they might have 8 girls who didn't come to tryouts that they believe are better. Or, they might have 4 girls who rated a little lower, but they know those girls from last season and are confident at what they can do, whereas a new player is more of a gamble unless she really stands out. There's just too many possibilities to guess.

As for teams still looking, that's not unusual, at least not where I coach. Most coaches have an idea of the level of player they are seeking. Let's say that's a B+ player. If only six girls at tryouts are B+ or better, then they take those six and keep looking. For many coaches, tryouts is just one stage in the team-building process. Some coaches are unrealistic and hold out for the superstar who never comes. Others have done this long enough to know what they're likely to get if they wait, and their patience usually is rewarded.

Oct 19, 2009
I’m going to take a little different direction on this.

Rejection can inspire you how many ball players, actors or professional people would we have never heard of if they had quit when rejected. Bert Reynolds, Michael Jordon, Mickey Mantle and thousands of others who refused to give up when rejected.

Every player has an advantage with some it’s speed, others it’s power. Work on the basics to improve her strengths, work on improving her speed, on balls hit to the outfield have proper foot work to get to more balls than the average player, getting a good jump on the ball. Work on throwing mechanics some of the best throwers I’ve seen are some of the small quick kids.

With hard work and dedication I bet many of those coaches will be talking to themselves, what was I thinking? :confused:

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
One of the best players on my team is the shortest and smallest in stature. She is tied for first as the fastest. First in her ability to naturally react to the ball b/c she practices all the time and the reps have allowed her to develop a comfort level with fielding. She hits (not for power mind you but she gets on base very consistently). She throws accurately. And....She listens to instruction!
Is she the most talented player in all of softball...probably not. But she is hard working and will get recognized for her efforts one day.

You have to decide what you want in your players as a coach and stick to it. Everyone has a different strategy and they are entitled to it. As a parent I believe it is good to ask the coach you are trying out for what he looks for in a player. It will help you understand their line of thinking.

Work on throwing mechanics some of the best throwers I’ve seen are some of the small quick kids.

Feb 9, 2011
I would agree small doesn't mean less talent or lower caliber player. A good example is the Thunder organization out of Alexander, AR they have several teams 01-99 that look tiny compared to all the other teams. The kids are well coached, hit the ball consistently, run super fast and beat you into the ground.

They have lots of trophies and WS titles to show for it also. Remember bieng a kid and watching the big strong slow kid get beat up by the small fast kid, it's the same in softball and baseball I think.

And no we do not play in Thunder so it's not self promotion.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I would agree small doesn't mean less talent or lower caliber player. A good example is the Thunder organization out of Alexander, AR they have several teams 01-99 that look tiny compared to all the other teams. The kids are well coached, hit the ball consistently, run super fast and beat you into the ground.

They have lots of trophies and WS titles to show for it also. Remember bieng a kid and watching the big strong slow kid get beat up by the small fast kid, it's the same in softball and baseball I think.

And no we do not play in Thunder so it's not self promotion.

Big strong AND fast is better, just sayin'! But regardless, the best teams generally have a mix. The mix is dependent on the talent available and the coach's philosophy. And on the professional level, there always are a few that have made a living despite being told they're too........something.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red