Tryout question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2012
After attending 6 or 7 practice any coach should be able to tell whether or not your DD will be a good fit. The thing that would worry me is that he is hoping one or two other girls he has been really trying to get on the team will join the team, you won't see them tryout they will just show up and start day one. I would think after a month of practices you should be able to sit down with the coach and either have him commit to her being on the team or start looking elsewhere.

just my two cents...

David, I think that you hit the nail on the head. There was a girl that we hadn't heard about before that suddenly showed up and was wearing one of their practice tees at the last practice. He's also been having problems with girls not showing up to practice so I'm wondering if he's using the girls that are trying out as a last resort. My daughter has heard him mention to one of the asst coaches that he is going to start cutting girls for not showing. I think we'll talk with the other team.

Jun 27, 2012
If they're having open workouts now, then they are not preparing for the major events in July. How many players are on the current team? Is this her 1st time trying out for select?

Speaking as a coach, if I wanted your player, then 3-4 workouts would have been enough to either offer her a spot or let you know that we did not have a place for her at this time. If our season is over, and there are players continuing with us into the fall, then I would have no problem with allowing your player to continue to work out with us until the start of the fall season.

The coach your DD likes is hoping a better option will come along. But with teams getting ready for the season-ending events right now, most of the best players are still rostered with those teams until late July/early August.

This does not mean that your DD isn't a strong player, nor does it mean that she's wasting her time. What it means is that she does not appear at this time to be the best fit for what this team is looking for.

This is her first time to tryout for a select team so we are still feeling our way. I really don't any clue how many girls are on the team. I think around 8 but it is hard to tell b/c he's had issues with girls showing up for practice. They are really positive towards her and at the last batting practice he even went up to her and congratulated her on doing a great job. I like the fact that she is practicing with them b/c it allows for my daughter to learn from really good coaches, but it is time for us to decide on a next step.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gerard