Tryout question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2012
My daughter has been trying out for a select softball team since the beginning of June. The head coach has told myself as well as 3 other parents that he doesn't make any decisions about whether players will be on the team until he has seen them tryout at their practices several times. I do understand his desire to watch the girls several times however, I've been wondering if this is typical? My daughter really likes the coaches and other girls, however, I wonder if we should go ahead and talk to other teams.
So far she has been to 2 practices every week since the beginning of June and he mentioned that all of the girls can continue to practice with them until Sept when the Fall season starts. He hasn't given us any type of time-frame on when he'll make up his mind.

Has anyone else had any experience with this?

My daughter has been trying out for a select softball team since the beginning of June. The head coach has told myself as well as 3 other parents that he doesn't make any decisions about whether players will be on the team until he has seen them tryout at their practices several times. I do understand his desire to watch the girls several times however, I've been wondering if this is typical? My daughter really likes the coaches and other girls, however, I wonder if we should go ahead and talk to other teams.
So far she has been to 2 practices every week since the beginning of June and he mentioned that all of the girls can continue to practice with them until Sept when the Fall season starts. He hasn't given us any type of time-frame on when he'll make up his mind.

Has anyone else had any experience with this?

After attending 6 or 7 practice any coach should be able to tell whether or not your DD will be a good fit. The thing that would worry me is that he is hoping one or two other girls he has been really trying to get on the team will join the team, you won't see them tryout they will just show up and start day one. I would think after a month of practices you should be able to sit down with the coach and either have him commit to her being on the team or start looking elsewhere.

just my two cents...

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
I've seen where people had to come to practices for maybe three weeks before a coach made a decision, especially when they are at the young side for the team. But I'd say that significantly longer than that is questionable.

Most players stay with their team through the summer (sometimes by contract). That's why general tryouts are usually at the end of the summer/start of the fall. Unless the team needs players right now, maybe the coach is just waiting till then: he isn't sure who of his current players will return, and he may want to wait and see who else will try to join the team. That doesn't mean you should give up trying with this team. But you may as well talk to some other teams too. Since you are not on this team yet, I don't see why the coach would take offense at that.

Note: some teams are desirable enough that they never need to advertise or hold tryouts, so don't wait for that either.

Feb 3, 2011
If they're having open workouts now, then they are not preparing for the major events in July. How many players are on the current team? Is this her 1st time trying out for select?

Speaking as a coach, if I wanted your player, then 3-4 workouts would have been enough to either offer her a spot or let you know that we did not have a place for her at this time. If our season is over, and there are players continuing with us into the fall, then I would have no problem with allowing your player to continue to work out with us until the start of the fall season.

The coach your DD likes is hoping a better option will come along. But with teams getting ready for the season-ending events right now, most of the best players are still rostered with those teams until late July/early August.

This does not mean that your DD isn't a strong player, nor does it mean that she's wasting her time. What it means is that she does not appear at this time to be the best fit for what this team is looking for.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would recommend starting tryouts for other teams immediately. Trying out for a TB team is like applying to college - your DD may have a 'first choice', but until she gets accepted it is always best to have options. If the coach really wants your DD, knowing she is trying out elsewhere may prompt him into offering her a spot.

I would recommend starting tryouts for other teams immediately. Trying out for a TB team is like applying to college - your DD may have a 'first choice', but until she gets accepted it is always best to have options. If the coach really wants your DD, knowing she is trying out elsewhere may prompt him into offering her a spot.

I agree. I think it is fairly normal to come out 3-4 times to make a decision to see consistency. Sometimes a girl has nerves that could impact her play negatively or just is having a bad day. A kid may have a lights out day and then go back to "normal" play.

At the same time, I would try her out just in case. Also, if your DD plays a certain position that his team is set at then he may have to take a pass. There a hundreds of reasons, but I would make sure she has a home at the end of the day.

My DD is wrapping up a summer with her current team. She just got offered by one team after three practices and we anticipate another offer from another team after two practices. It is really how the head coach prefers, but I like it when they go multiple practices to ensure a girl is what they are looking for rather than finding out a couple tourneys into the season. It also gives you and DD a chance to see whether she is a fit for the coach and the team. It's a bad thing when you get an offer and hop on board too quickly or wait around too long and miss the boat.

Just can't win...:)

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
We had to leave a team after the first tournament, we found another team that was looking for a player. DD went out and practiced with them, then was invited to play in a Tournament that weekend. She did well and they offered her a spot on Sunday. I would say the whole month, or a few months is way too long. Start looking to try-out for other teams. If questioned, just say, "Well you haven't offered yet so we are looking".

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I gotta agree with Kevin, a month of tryouts with no answer? No way! As a coach I would NEVER expect a DD or family to go through that.

And I'll agree with David, really sounds like he is waiting on a stud player to quit her team and come over. I'd bet $$$ that he is in negotiations right now trying to recruit.

I'd start looking for another team ASAP, what do you have to lose. You can pour money and time into an old car, and still never get it running. My friend, it's time for a trade in and new team.

I gotta agree with Kevin, a month of tryouts with no answer? No way! As a coach I would NEVER expect a DD or family to go through that.

And I'll agree with David, really sounds like he is waiting on a stud player to quit her team and come over. I'd bet $$$ that he is in negotiations right now trying to recruit.

I'd start looking for another team ASAP, what do you have to lose. You can pour money and time into an old car, and still never get it running. My friend, it's time for a trade in and new team.

Most coaches I know always throw in the, "I know you're probably looking at other teams" line when discussing positions from my experience. I think it is expected that you aren't throwing all of your eggs in one basket. They are crazy if they don't expect it.

Apr 9, 2012
I am a fan of a few workouts and then maybe a tourney with the team to see how they (parents) handle the pressure. I do not expect my teams to be the only ones you try out for either. If you are a fit it will show within a month (parents and girls)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole