Try for 2 or get 1?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Unless the batter/runner is slow it's tough to get the 6-4-3 double play with the shorter bases in softball. Keep in mind that 60 feet v. 90 feet is a big difference. So is the larger ball we use. It's easier for big, strong boys to snap a smaller ball around the field.

So you need to know the situation. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try, but be realistic. Make sure you're not making throws just to make throws when there's no chance of getting the second runner.

Jul 9, 2010
At younger ages, we would try for the DP, but really only hope to get the lead runner, assuming the ball is fielded cleanly and the play can be made. If they bobble it all, they go for the sure out at 1.

At 18U, we expect the DP. We have a goal each tourney of turning 1 a game. Most times, we make that goal.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Unless the batter/runner is slow it's tough to get the 6-4-3 double play with the shorter bases in softball. Keep in mind that 60 feet v. 90 feet is a big difference. So is the larger ball we use. It's easier for big, strong boys to snap a smaller ball around the field.

So you need to know the situation. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try, but be realistic. Make sure you're not making throws just to make throws when there's no chance of getting the second runner.

Not only that, but in the wrong situation you might not get the girl at second either. Its one thing to try it and only get one out. Its another thing to force it and not get either out.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
the majority of double plays my DD's 12u team got last year were 5-3-6. Runner on first, sac bunt down toward 3rd, 3rd throwing to 1st and the 1st baseman (girl) immediately throwing to the SS covering second. So often the girl advancing to second takes a relaxed step off the bag to either look at her coach or to turn to see if the ball was over thrown at 1st. By the time she realizes what's happening the ball is already there. It got to the point where almost any play to 1st the ball would end up going back to second.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Generally at 12u and under, you want a very aggressive offense but a very conservative defense.
-W

100% agree with this. On offense, put a lot of pressure on the defense with small ball, aggressive baserunning, etc; when playing defense get the easy outs every time even if it means NOT getting the lead runner. Softball is a different and faster game than baseball and you can't necessary apply baseball's "absolutes" to softball.

Jan 18, 2011
I'm of the opinion that there is one universal truth in both baseball and softball and is that there are 6 outs an inning. Outs are very precious. You need to preserve yours and get theirs. This is why I teach, you always get at least 1 and make sure you get that one. If the skill level is there to make two then go for it, but make sure you get that one first, whether it be at 2nd or 1st, you need to get that out. I do teach to try to turn the DP but make sure of one. The girls need to understand their ability and make snap judgements. During practices I make the girls tell me the plays available before the next pitch is thrown, I'll even do this in the first scrimmage game, I start this at 10u, you'll be surprised how fast they pick it up they're like little sponges.

With that said, bad throws will happen and it'll happen at first just as much as second, unfortunately that's part of the game too. The good with the bad, hopefully more good than bad. You teach them good form and techniques and good things will happen. Like Vince Lambardi said ". . . winning is a habit, unfortunately so is losing." Teach them well.

Jun 21, 2010
Yes, I am saying that at young ages, we should go for the lead runner (and not just to first), not that we should make errant second throws.

I see that going to first without even looking anywhere else is commonly taught at young ages and a hard habit to break.

Hard habit the break is right. I saw this often last fall 12U. Second base wouldn't think to tag out runner from 1st--ball fielded between second and first. Automatically threw to 1st and lead runner is safe on 2nd.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
My DD coaches tell the girls to always get one out, but to also look for the 2nd out. At 12U they would get an out at first on sac bunt, then several times also got the runner from 1st looking to go to 3rd. Several teams' coaches underestimated our 2nd baseman's arm and game savvy. They also double off many runners by applying a tag, then throwing to first. Last year at 1st yr 14U they successfully turned several 4-6-3 double plays. If you teach them early to look for the 2nd out, it eventually comes.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
I tend to be against 'dumbing' down the sport for the young ones, because today, our leagues mean a lot of reps of skills no matter the age.

So you build muscle and brain memory with one version of defense or pitching (to make it 'easier' to throw or get an out or to 'win,' as an adult sees it), only to have to relearn something different around ages 13-14, but only after many, many reps of the WRONG way. At that young and free age of 8-11, the kids don't notice the losses or the imperfections like the coach does.

Let's teach the sport the proper way. Even if the 8-10 year olds don't execute the skill perfectly the first few years, or God forbid, lose a few games, they are set to rely on the proper foundation for their whole careers.

Let the game come to them.

Agree 100%. Working on advanced skills will keep you ahead of the competition and give them a head start for the future. It always amazes me to hear people say their team can't do something they have never tried. I still remember in 6U other coaches yelling to the player who fielded the ball to chase a runner and try to tag them while our girls were fielding the ball and throwing (rolling mostly) to 1st. We would retire their teams 3 up 3 down and all they could say was, "you guys got all the GOOD players". All I could say was "Yea, we do now".

The same is true even now in 14U. If you teach the girls not to throw the ball around because your scared they will make errors, thats what they learn; If we throw the ball around we will make errors. Does not help them in the future.

Nov 1, 2009
Softball is now and always will be a game of outs. If you get more outs than give you will usually win the game. The reality is you must take the first three outs the other team gives you and usually they are one at a time. Getting a lead runner is not too difficult on a ball hit with some speed but if there is any doubt at all then get the out at first. If you are playing a competitive team (good travel club) the only double plays you are going to get are 6-3 unless the ball is smashed so the question really should be do you take the lead runner. Summary, Always take the sure out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12