Try for 2 or get 1?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 6, 2010
Florida
I seen an article on the issue of teams trying to get a double play versus getting the out at first. There was one college game, i believe one of the teams may have been U of Washington.

The article was talking about how one team tried for the double play which they didn't get. They ended up losing the game by 1, which if they would have gotten the out at 1st they would have won by 1.

Any help finding this article would be a tremendous to me so I can show our team, or any input on this topic would help. Trying to convince our team to focus on getting the out at 1st.

Thanks.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
If they had turned the DP would it have changed your mind? DP's are a great weapon when executed properly, but conditions have to be perfect in order for it to work. I would say that the mistake made in the example you stated was a bad decision on the part of the infielder who initiated the attempt when they shouldent have. Yes you should always get the out. When there is any doubt about getting the out at 2nd, go to 1st.

I don't know what age group you coach, but I saw a 14U TB team turn 3 DP's in 2 games with good feeds to second and good footwork at the turn and throw to 1st. I would sugest working on it in practice even if you discourage it during a game. Some times getting the lead runner at 2nd is appropriate, and if they can learn to turn and throw to 1st properly, maybe get the "bonus out" at 1st.

Jan 23, 2009
I seen an article on the issue of teams trying to get a double play versus getting the out at first. There was one college game, i believe one of the teams may have been U of Washington.

The article was talking about how one team tried for the double play which they didn't get. They ended up losing the game by 1, which if they would have gotten the out at 1st they would have won by 1.

Any help finding this article would be a tremendous to me so I can show our team, or any input on this topic would help. Trying to convince our team to focus on getting the out at 1st.

Thanks.

The correct play with less than two outs in both baseball and softball is always to get a front runner. Getting a front runner is no more difficult a play as long as you correctly assess that front runners speed (hopefully you can get a clue prior to the play) and field the ball cleanly. If the play on the ground is made cleanly, go for the front runner with the intent of getting 1 out. Never rush the throw with the intent of getting 2. The fielder covering the front bag must know to field the ball first before throwing elsewhere. The double play is always a bonus. You can only get 2 after you get 1.

BTW... with two outs in softball, unlike baseball, the play should always go to first unless something unusual happens (e.g. the ball is not fielded cleanly, the batter is fast, and there is still a play at another base)

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I think if your girls can make the turn and have success a reasonable amount of times, go for the DP. If they never get it right, get the most sure out.

Of course it always matters what the game situation is and where the ball is hit. The fielders need to be able to read the situation and understand which is the correct play.

Jul 26, 2010
It really depends on your defense and your strategy. The coaches job is to determine which strategy you will use, and be very clear to your players that they know which strategy they use. Any hesitation will kill you. Softball is not baseball, double plays are more rare and must be flawless. Softball players do not have time to think, they must react instantly.

Your strategy will depend on your team skill level, your opponents skill level, and other factors. Generally at 12u and under, you want a very aggressive offense but a very conservative defense. It's a game of 21 outs, get the outs. At 14u teams start to diverge, some should stay with the safe defense strategy. If your team nails all their throws perfectly (80% of errors are throwing errors), then you can play defense more aggressively and force some outs, try for lead runners, ect.

The more challenging your opponent, the more aggressive you will need to play your defense.

Make sure, however, that as a coach, you clearly let your players know what strategy you are using. If it's the out at 1, they need to know. NEVER EVER berate your players for making the play you told them to make even if there was a cherry opportunity to make another more aggressive play, at the same time, if they do make that more aggressive play, acknowledge them for thinking and only later remind them that they were supposed to make the other more simple play.

1 run and 21 easy outs wins every game.

-W

Dec 6, 2010
Florida
I am an asistant coach on a high school team. As starsnuffer has pointed out the skill level for our team at the beginning of the season is one that we need to try and focus on getting the out at one.
The article that i read was on another softball thread and was be pointed out by a very respectable fastpitch instructor.
I agree that softball is a more quick thinking game than baseball and must rely on the players really knowing what to do before they ever recieve the ball. That's why we are teaching not to forget the chance at a double play, but really focusing on getting the out at 1.

Dec 6, 2010
Florida
Hey i found the article. Basically it stated that there was two D1 college teams that had played two games. In those two games between the two teams attempted to get the lead runner only two times. One play they recorded an out and the other there was an overthrow at second. Scores were 7-6 and 5-3.
We do try in practice to turn two at times. Sometimes successful sometimes not. And i am one that believes that if the chance on gettig the lead runner out is at a high chance of being successful then do it.

May 25, 2010
If my better 8u girls are capable of looking to turn a DP on instinct with less than 2 outs (usually when catching a liner then doubling up the baserunner who failed to tag), then surely it should be instinct for collegiate players as well.

Mistakes are a part of any game, but it just comes down to repetition. If an overthrow advances the runner (who'd planned to hold up at 2nd), then it's usually because the outfielder was out of position or didn't hustle and a speedy runner will capitalize on that. From 8u on up, players should be taught NOT to assume that any play is happening automatically, every time, without fail.

When protecting a 2+ run lead late in the game, I'm all for allowing the lead runner to advance in order to get the sure out at 1st, but that game situation calls for different coaching than in the 2nd inning.

In American society, the more aggressive people tend to have the most success, and youth sports are no different.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
I'm in the "take the easier out at first" camp but hope to teach my team the situational awareness to look to get the lead runner if there is a good chance that they can make the out. I will teach and practice the double play in hopes that they can pull it off when the opportunity and need to make the play is there. I think a double play caused by a base runner forgetting to tag up or running into a tag is a lot more likely to happen than the classic 4 - 5 - 3 double play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12