Triple of Double??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
The quality at bat stat takes hard hit balls into consideration and a few other things.
From GameChanger
QAB's are calculated using the formula below:

GameChanger QAB - [(2-strike at-bats ≥ 3 pitches seen) + (at-bats ≥ 6 pitches seen) + (hard hit balls) + (2-out RBI’s) + (sac bunt) + (sac fly)] / (total # of plate appearances) = QAB %

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
In my opinion Gamechanger's QAB is a terrible stat. At first glance I thought it was great, it would drill down and show what a player is doing and takes out luck and adds in things like sac bunts... But after 3+ years of my wife taking score using gamechanger I have found that the worst batters on the team seem to come out highest on QAB. A kid who can't hit the ball squarely is rewarded by fouling off a few pitches before she weakly grounds out, or the kid who never swings and starts out 0-2 before the pitcher starts trying to get her to chase is rewarded by the 3 pitches after a 2 strike count.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I know in the Majors I would love to see batting stats for the stars against the number 1 and 2 starters from teams. It would be a pretty good indicator of who might hit better in the playoffs.

I've thought about that myself. I do think that some hitters are more likely to disappear than others vs. an elite pitcher, but I have no proof. Baseball-reference does show stats in games you win vs. games you lose. On average, the pitching is better in games you lose. I actually kept that stat for my 2012 travel team. Can't remember if it held much insight. I might go back and look at it.

As for 'evening out,' I think it evens out well enough for most travel teams if you're playing 50-75 games. Yes, luck can probably swing your batting average as much as 50 points in TB, but you also have a wide range of skill levels on travel teams compared to MLB. On our 14U team last season, a couple of girls hit .425, a couple hit .225. Some had 10+ extra-base hits, some had one or none. I felt like I could rank the players pretty well without worrying too much about the luck factor.

My DD played middle school ball last spring with a 15-game schedule. She has played with and against many of her school teammates, so I had a sense of about how each historically had batted. Even in that short of a season, there were no major statistical surprises.

Jun 11, 2013
I'd be interested to know if you stats came to anything. I guess I tend to over analyze things. I do know some kid on our TB team that can beat up on weak pitching and to some extent weak defenses, but just get over matched against good pitchers. In general when I am given stats I'm not too surprised. I don't really like the calculation of the QAB, but think it will evolve into something useful.

Oct 6, 2013
In response to original question (VA Chris) …
* agree with the statements, best seen live. but given the description and the rule citations. 2B. would be my notation.
* if one of your objectives is to standardize your scoring - consistently across player to player, game to game, and if a specific rule covers your situation, I follow it. so in this case the outcome (out at home) dictates the scoring notation.(as you underlined the exact relevant rule)

on the spin off topic. other batter metrics QAB and GameChanger
@canyonjoe
- baseball-reference.com is what i was going to mention as a great idea/place to look for other metrics and perhaps the Player vs pitcher comparison you reference

- have you ever investigated Runs Created? it is a measure beyond Avg OBP SLG etc, some use for evaluating MLB hitters. you would have to judge for your self how well that fits at your level of play b/c it is designed for MLB. but in my limited experience it force ranked much like I would expect BUT with a few ‘interesting’ refinements, that i think were right by the numbers but may have discounted. . .. so from that aspect it is interesting

FYI here is the 2013 MLB ranking by Runs Created.
Yearly League Leaders &amp Records for Runs Created - Baseball-Reference.com

@ CoogansBluff
- Have you every looked into advance media tools like edgehq.com (or others) that provide those "split" comparisons for high level college/pro teams -( not sure how much public / free data if any they provide)?

@ chinamigarden @ BadMonkeys & @canyonjoe
* FYI - iScore Allows you to customize you own QAB statistic (but adding or removing factors that you feel most relevant for your level of play). and iScore also calculates Runs Created if that has any relevance to your needs.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
The quality at bat stat takes hard hit balls into consideration and a few other things. From GameChanger
QAB's are calculated using the formula below:

GameChanger QAB - [(2-strike at-bats ≥ 3 pitches seen) + (at-bats ≥ 6 pitches seen) + (hard hit balls) + (2-out RBI’s) + (sac bunt) + (sac fly)] / (total # of plate appearances) = QAB %

I’ve been “down the road” about QAB’s for more than 15 years. The problem with them is, the definition changes from coach to coach, player to player, parent to parent, scout to scout, and for sure scorer to scorer. The main problem with GC’s QAB definition, is it forces the scorer to decide what a hard hit ball is. On top of that, it actually penalizes a player who produces vs one who just hits the ball hard.

To me, the 1st thing needing to be determined is the HC/Manager’s definition for what a batter’s job is because its his decision as to who bats and where in the lineup they bat. Is it to reach base safely, drive in runs, move runners, or is it something else? In baseball(sorry), a lot has been made of Clint Hurdle’s “Positive Plate Appearances”, It a very different metric than a QAB in that there’s no attempt to make a positive out of a negative, as in a hard hit ball for an out being given more value than some other result that actually helps the team.

You can read about for yourself here. The Texas Rangers & Making More Sales | Social Media Today

The thing about a QAB that makes me give it so little credence as a metric, is that its only intent is to make a player feel better about him/herself when they’ve failed. There’s nothing wrong with failing in a game built on failure. The real object should be to fail less rather than succeed more. But in today’s world a lot of folks believe failure in any measure is a bad thing, thus QAB’s came in to being.

I’ve generated Clint’s Productivity as a metric for over a dozen years now, and before that I was doing the MRU(Moved Lead Runner UP) portion of it on my own. And still do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand