Travel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mia

Dec 21, 2020
Hi, my names Mia and i’ve played city league my whole life. Ive regretted not playing travel for a LONG time and now it’s too late. I’m trying out for freshman softball and just need reassuring that i don’t need travel to make the team cause I don’t know if i can make it. All the girls trying out have played travel.

Jul 31, 2015
Hi Mia. Without knowing where you are and what specific team/high school you are trying out for (pls don’t post that information publicly), it is difficult to offer advice or reassurance.

But I can ask a few questions which might help the people on this discussion board help you:

How long have you played in the city leagues?
What position do you play?
How big is your high school (how many students)?
Does your high school have a freshman team? How about junior varsity?
Do you know if city league players have made your HS team before, or is the team usually just made up of travel players only?
Might you have the chance to play travel this summer?
It seems like you want to play travel but might not have had the opportunity to do so....but why do you think it’s too late? Talented players are always in demand! You may just be getting started!

Thanks and welcome to DFP.

Mia

Dec 21, 2020
I started city league when i was eight i’m pretty sure, and practiced when i was 7. I’m 13. I play second, third, and short stop. The high school is pretty big. Not sure how many students. We have both freshman and junior varsity. I believe some people who have played city league made the team since there are a lot of players. I am already signed up to play. idk when it starts or anything that’s gonna happen but i really wish i could play travel in the summer but I don’t think it’s possible. Almost two years ago i was terrible at softball but suddenly i was beginning to hit doubles. Yes that’s the farthest i’ve ever hit. But i’m super accurate at hitting just not far. have any suggestions? Thank you so so much for replying i’m just super nervous and regretting things :)

Aug 25, 2019
Hey Mia!........As long as you can hit, don't worry about hitting far, any coach will take a .500 player hitting singles than a .250 hitter hitting homers. Keep working on your hitting (don't neglect fielding though) Most coaches look at hitting first, so if you can rake, you'll do fine. We all here can attest to the fact that just because a girl plays travel doesn't make them a great player. Good Luck!

Jul 31, 2015
Well if two years ago you were terrible and now you can hit doubles, I’d say you have a very bright career ahead of you! And if you are playing 3b, SS and 2b on your current team that means you are a good athlete too.

It’s great that you are signed up to play. It’ll be fun to represent your school and meet new people.

And don’t worry so much - there’s a really good chance you’ll make the freshman team. Softball is a sport that’s hard to pick up if you haven’t played it before. And you have been playing for years so you’re way ahead!

Just relax and be yourself. Stressing won’t help your performance and it could make things worse.

Take some time before tryouts to practice hitting and fielding - it will build your confidence. You can begin by just throwing a ball against a wall to practice grounders and hitting a ball into a net, if you have a tee. If you can get someone to play catch or toss you some wiffleballs, that’s even better. The more reps you can get in before tryouts the more comfortable you’ll be.

Lastly I would just say that you should talk to your parents and let them know how you are feeling. They may have some suggestions.

Good luck!!

Reactions: Mia

Mia

Dec 21, 2020
Thank you soo much!! i can also play outfield too. i’m just scared i’m gonna give off a bad impression at try outs. I wish i could go back and play travel but i’ll try my hardest!! again, thank you so much for talking to me about it!<3

Mia

Dec 21, 2020
Hey Mia!........As long as you can hit, don't worry about hitting far, any coach will take a .500 player hitting singles than a .250 hitter hitting homers. Keep working on your hitting (don't neglect fielding though) Most coaches look at hitting first, so if you can rake, you'll do fine. We all here can attest to the fact that just because a girl plays travel doesn't make them a great player. Good Luck!
Thank you soo much. i really appreciate it! I can also play outfield and i’m pretty good at pop flys. Thank you!!!

Mia

Dec 21, 2020
Well if two years ago you were terrible and now you can hit doubles, I’d say you have a very bright career ahead of you! And if you are playing 3b, SS and 2b on your current team that means you are a good athlete too.

It’s great that you are signed up to play. It’ll be fun to represent your school and meet new people.

And don’t worry so much - there’s a really good chance you’ll make the freshman team. Softball is a sport that’s hard to pick up if you haven’t played it before. And you have been playing for years so you’re way ahead!

Just relax and be yourself. Stressing won’t help your performance and it could make things worse.

Take some time before tryouts to practice hitting and fielding - it will build your confidence. You can begin by just throwing a ball against a wall to practice grounders and hitting a ball into a net, if you have a tee. If you can get someone to play catch or toss you some wiffleballs, that’s even better. The more reps you can get in before tryouts the more comfortable you’ll be.

Lastly I would just say that you should talk to your parents and let them know how you are feeling. They may have some suggestions.

Good luck!!
thank you!!!!!

Nov 15, 2019
Hi, my names Mia and i’ve played city league my whole life. Ive regretted not playing travel for a LONG time and now it’s too late.

It may not be too late. There are different levels of travel ball. In my area someone that's 13 with city league experience would be able to find a travel team suitable for her.

Mia

Dec 21, 2020
It may not be too late. There are different levels of travel ball. In my area someone that's 13 with city league experience would be able to find a travel team suitable for her.
i’m signed up for hs and i was gonna try out for travel freshman year and start hs ball sophomore year but one year might not be worth it if i make the hs team. If i don’t make the freshman team i would like to do travel but i bet the tryouts for that travel team will already be over and my mom doesn’t really like the team at all. Thank you so so much for replying tho it means a lot for people to want to help me!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA