Travel Team coach Lack Knowledge.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2010
same here...dd's pitching great, but we lost two championships, one because it was full rules and coach won't let the girls practice full rules? and coach won't play the bunt? 18 k's and we lost, because a girl got a bunt down with no coverage? and stole 2nd,3rd and home? we lost 1-0? coach says the parents aren't really hard core softball fans? and basically don't care if we win or lose? but he doesn't know four of those parents are looking for other teams? trying to stay diplomatic? but,it's a new coach and i'm sure he's trying? but he's getting out coached because of his inexperience? frustrating......

That's a lot of questions. Yet I don't see one question.

Jul 23, 2011
well first off its league ball , if she is a lefty then she needs to bat left , but i understand she is a rightyfrom your post so she needs to learn to hit the ball . I have coached for 17 years , 12 years of 18u select ball and I can tell you that parents influince children ! she most likely dont have a problem from the right side but you have made it a big deal so she has to side with dad . what you should do is learn how to help her hit with power from the right side , if your as good a coach you say you are then it is a easy task . Rotational hitting is a great start , and you should be more supportive of the coach . Attitude is a reflection of leadership and parents are suppose to lead . I have never question another coach but have asked to explain his or her mission so i understand what it is i need to do to help my child and if i was to come across a idiot volunteer , then i still respect their time . but most good coaches have excellent players for kids because thats who we coach the most , after all they live with us !

Nov 29, 2009
she most likely dont have a problem from the right side but you have made it a big deal so she has to side with dad . what you should do is learn how to help her hit with power from the right side

What part of 80 lbs and very quick don't you understand? Sounds like a perfect candidate to be a slapper.

Sounds like dad knows what he is doing. If you're going to turn a kid around you do it at 10U. Let them struggle for the two years learning how to do it correctly. Once they hit 12U and up they know what they are doing and have a lot of success with it.

I had 3 kids on one of my 10U teams I turned around when they were 10.

Player A actually turned out to be a pretty good overall hitter from the left side. She said she see the ball better. She has several colleges talking to her right now.

Player B is slapper who can hit pretty well from the left side. She has several D1's talking to her.

Player C has more strength, speed and over athleticism than the other two. Unfortunately mom was an idiot. She could not understand the learning process and was frustrated with the outs. She kept having her hit from the right side with fair success at best. Now when she is in her junior year mom wants her to slap full time because she sees the success of the other two players. She is struggling to get on base and does not possess the advanced skills for her age. She is several years behind.

The point is the dad needs to tell the "coach" his daughter is being taught to be a slapper and she is going to slap from the left side of the plate. Ni further explanations should be necessary.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy