Travel Ball Realizations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I look forward to the day that all parents and coaches recognize that softball pitching puts similar strain and stress on the arm (and more on the back) as overhand pitching. That recognition leads to the development and use of a pitching STAFF.

I look forward to the day that all parents and coaches recognize that softball pitching puts similar strain and stress on the arm (and more on the back) as overhand pitching. That recognition leads to the development and use of a pitching STAFF.

I often tell anyone who will listen that a good travel ball team should have three quality starting pitchers and another "mop-up" pitcher on the roster.
Tootin' my own horn a little bit. :eek:

Jul 23, 2014
My DD's team has 3 quality pitchers and so far this Fall they have rotated evenly. I think it is complicated for the parents of the pitchers though. They invest a lot of time and money into being a good pitcher so it's natural that they want to get what they feel is ample pitching time in games. So far there have been no problems and I think it is in our benefit to keep all 3 pitchers. I hope they feel they each get enough time between the tourney schedule and guest playing on off weekends.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
My DD is a pitcher and utility player. We have three solid pitchers, and DD is probably #2. Doesn't bother me or DW a bit. When she's not in the circle, she's usually playing somewhere and batting in the order. She's continuing to learn a lot. That's all I need to see. IMHO, a solid utility player with a good bat can be worth quite a bit to a team.

My DD's team has 3 quality pitchers and so far this Fall they have rotated evenly. I think it is complicated for the parents of the pitchers though. They invest a lot of time and money into being a good pitcher so it's natural that they want to get what they feel is ample pitching time in games. So far there have been no problems and I think it is in our benefit to keep all 3 pitchers. I hope they feel they each get enough time between the tourney schedule and guest playing on off weekends.
I think you illustrate a good point .... and some problems.

First, what most families feel is "ample" pitching time usually does not correspond with sharing duties with two other girls. Heck, most pitcher's parents don't even want to share with one other girl.

Second, a quality starting pitcher should not need to guest play on off weekends. She should be resting (this illustrates the point of what type of circle time families expect).

Third, we have coaches like the one over at the Lady Chicks who has one quality starter and another middle-of-the-road pitcher who lets the #1 girl throw two pool games on Saturday and then come back and throw every game on Sunday until they either lose or win the tournament. Other families on teams deep in pitching see this and think their DD is getting cheated on circle time rather than seeing that the real problem is the Lady Chicks are overworking their pitcher.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2014
I think you illustrate a good point .... and some problems.

First, what most families feel is "ample" pitching time usually does not correspond with sharing duties with two other girls.

Second, a quality starting pitcher should not need to guest play on off weekends. She should be resting (this illustrates the point of what type of circle time families expect).

Third, we have coaches like the one over at the Lady Chicks who has one quality starter and another middle-of-the-road pitcher who lets the #1 girl throw two pool games on Saturday and then come back and throw every game on Sunday until they either lose or win the tournament. Other families on teams deep in pitching see this and think their DD is getting cheated on circle time rather than seeing that the real problem is the Lady Chicks are overworking their pitcher.

I definitely see your point. I think one of the things that helps on DD's team is that everyone plays even if they are not pitching. The team bats lineup every game and bench is rotated each inning so they all play every game regardless of whether they pitch.

I do know that 2 of the 3 pitchers actively guest play frequently.

Jan 25, 2011
I guess my dd has found a good fit with her team. She gets to pitch in a rotation and is happy with her circle time. She likes the whole 1 a day games pitched currently. I like it too. She has had to come into a game to help her other pitchers and they have done it for her.

May 17, 2012

There aren't enough pitchers for all of the travel teams. While I agree with your logic it just won't happen unless you get innings limits put on these pitchers.

I for one would like to see less *travel* teams with deeper talent.

Jan 23, 2014
Pitcher's Parent here. We are 2nd year 10u, pitching for one year. I was told here that we should be on a team where dd is 1 or 2, otherwise she wouldn't get enough circle time. So that's what we did after last season. Maybe it depends on the coaches. In the spring, 1&2 saw 75% of the pitching, 3/4 split the other 25%. So, probably not enough. It seems that most of the teams we saw had 2 pitchers they used most of the time. I do want my dd to get circle time, but certainly not to the detriment of her health. I am hoping the other pitchers on the team get a little stronger, they do well for a couple of innings and then lose gas, at that time they had my dd step in. There were already some outs and she seemed to do better coming in for the other girls and made quick work of it. In the fall when we play 2 tournaments(plus league where everyone on the team pitches, seriously may as well) it's not that big of a deal. In the spring/summer it will be a big deal and I will have to step in and place a limit on innings.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
There aren't enough pitchers for all of the travel teams. While I agree with your logic it just won't happen unless you get innings limits put on these pitchers.

I for one would like to see less *travel* teams with deeper talent.

Let's not impose arbitrary limits on pitchers and dumb down the game because some coaches fail to attract and retain talent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole