Travel Ball Coaching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2010
Hi All:

I just wanted to get some feed back on this : Our travel team has one head coach and one or two assistants. The Head Coach is a control freak and feels the need to be in charge of everything for example she is the hitting coach ,fielding coach,pitching coach etc.... The parents are upset because they feel she cannot concentrate on the whole team while occupied with all that ? Also as a team we have not hit very well so the parents may be correct on that statement, instead of working on hitting they just concentrated on defense.
Do you feel a team should have a separate hitting coach other than the head coach so that they can she each girl from a different point of view? How can one coach do it all ??

Let me know

Thanks
JWP

Oct 22, 2009
PA
It is very difficult being all things to all people all the time. A leader needs to learn to delegate, and needs to be able to trust that what they have delegated will get done to everyone's satisfaction. That said, in my experience, kids had their own pitching coach, as well as their own hitting instructors. We worked with each kid at practice, but for those that were still struggling, it was best to have them concentrate 1 on 1 with a private instructor.

Jan 29, 2012
It really depends on your definition of a hitting coach. Most elite players parents in tb don't trust just their head coach with their swing. That's why they take individual lessons from a 3rd party long time coach or former high level player/coach. If the HC has the credentials to be the hitting coach, let her be the hitting coach. Sure, one person can do it all if they're qualified.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
How much attention can 1 hitting coach give each player.How many times a week is that hitting coach spending with each player.I would not just relying on that 1 coach for a limited time during the week for my DD.I would and have taken to coaching my DD with her hitting.I have the most time to offer to my DD.I am the one who sees her at the games and practices.I wouldn't leave my DD hitting future up to a coach who has limited time for my DD.I did in the past and that's what got her in the mess she was at the plate.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
Not everyone can afford or has a personal hitting coach. It's not like Pitching, where it really is required. That being said, the HC has to absolutely delegate some authority. When I HC, I ask my assistants what they are best at. And, when I've been the asst, I go ahead and tell the HC what area I think I could coach the girls best at. As a HC, I got the girls started with an assistant on one station/drill, then moved on with other girls and another assistant to a 2nd station/drill. I always roamed as a HC and made notes of which girls then needed special one-on-one attention by me. Now, bear in mind, my experience is from t-ball to 12U, so above that level there may be better ideas, and I'd love to hear them.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
As a follow up to somebody asking how much time can one hitting coach spend with each girl, when I coached in lower level (10U, 8U), I always followed up with emails to parents letting them know what things we worked on in practice. Attachments with drills to work on for hitting, fielding, etc. also helped. At those levels parents have to work with their girls outside of practice for the team to improve, but many parents simply don't know what and/or how to practice.

Jun 11, 2012
As a follow up to somebody asking how much time can one hitting coach spend with each girl, when I coached in lower level (10U, 8U), I always followed up with emails to parents letting them know what things we worked on in practice. Attachments with drills to work on for hitting, fielding, etc. also helped. At those levels parents have to work with their girls outside of practice for the team to improve, but many parents simply don't know what and/or how to practice.

A player has to work "outside" of regular practice. You can only go over something so many times before you have to move to the next portion of practice.

May 13, 2012
Not TB but the most enjoyment I have had was this yrs all stars 11-12olds. Me and 2 offical AC's and 2 more helping. I never once worked with out field drills left that to AC and helper. Me and other AC took care of infield drills. BP stations split into 3 groups TEE,bunting,soft toss coachs split up on stations. Live BP myself and other AC worked with them. I think as long as coachs are on the same page it can be great with multiple coaches. Different wording but same result. Not all girls respond to me or the other but between all of us someone make get them to understand the concept of a certain task. Worked great for me/us.

Nov 29, 2009
Not everyone can afford or has a personal hitting coach. It's not like Pitching, where it really is required.

You are right about not everyone can afford a hitting coach. Where you are dead wrong is the need for a personal hitting coach. The great hitters take lessons and work just as hard on perfecting their swing and good pitchers do on their craft.

When it comes to hitting most kids are practice players, meaning their bat almost never comes out of their bag unless they are at team hitting. They don't work on it everyday and can't figure out why they are not having any success.

I know as a HC my weakness is teaching hitting. My abilities to teach it are slightly above average. I encourage all of my players to get private hitting lessons. Not all of them do it.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Hi All:

I just wanted to get some feed back on this : Our travel team has one head coach and one or two assistants. The Head Coach is a control freak and feels the need to be in charge of everything for example she is the hitting coach ,fielding coach,pitching coach etc.... The parents are upset because they feel she cannot concentrate on the whole team while occupied with all that ? Also as a team we have not hit very well so the parents may be correct on that statement, instead of working on hitting they just concentrated on defense.
Do you feel a team should have a separate hitting coach other than the head coach so that they can she each girl from a different point of view? How can one coach do it all ??

Let me know

Thanks
JWP

Anytime I read the words control freak, I often wonder. On what scale?

In my opinion a separate hitting coach is not generally possible on most teams. Typically a girl will go to a separate coach for specific hitting instruction. If all of these parents are upset about how poorly the girls are hitting, then instead of standing around talking about how upset they are, they should do something about it and take their daughter to a batting instructor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877