Tournament camping?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2021
I had a big Class A RV for years and sold it when DD went off to college. Many times we would take it to tournaments and just stay at the complex if it was big enough or a campground if not. We towed the car behind so we could do the team dinners and other team functions. Many times several of her teammates would also spend the nights with us.

During the hot Summer days, we'd drive it to the complex early in the morning if staying at a campground. In between games, the entire team would pile in to sit in the A/C and watch TV. We (parents and I) would extend the outdoor canopy and set up a buffet style lunch under it. It was great all the way around for us and my team. As someone said it's more glamping than camping but it was still a lot of fun. If you were thinking about a tent or pop-up though, I probably wouldn't recommend it being away from the site for extended periods of time since they're relatively easy to get into.
My tent days are over and this sounds like a lot of fun!

Jun 17, 2021
For those with camping gear who like to camp probably not a big deal or expense but for us, personally we don't camp. IIWY would stay in local tourneys for 12U unless the competition is really poor. Maybe 1-2 overnight drive-aways at that age.
We have 3 aways scheduled and the first hotel I booked that the team had a block for was close to $600 for 2 nights. Just got me thinking...

Oct 10, 2018
We have 3 aways scheduled and the first hotel I booked that the team had a block for was close to $600 for 2 nights. Just got me thinking...
Absolutely. DD is on a new team this year and all 7 of the summer tourneys they have scheduled are overnights and 2 of them are 3-4 days long - the hotel bill for us is mucho grande this summer.

Jun 11, 2013
You have to do what you have to do. We did it once with our tent trailer at a tournament while another family used tents. Ideally if you can find nicer campgrounds like KOA or something (although they are fairly pricy) that have maybe a pool and real showers you can make it work.

Apr 11, 2016
Hey everyone-
Just starting to get our schedules lined up for this years TB schedule (12u). This is our first real experience with a decent club.
I am having a little sticker shock on the cost of hotels. While we can afford a few trips to a hotel, I am wondering what some of the pro's and con's are to camping.
I'm sure this has been discussed a bunch, but am curious what die hard campers think and those who might refuse to go that route. Especially during these earlier years of competition, I am hoping to make it a family experience. We do have a 5 year old who tends to get dragged along to her older sisters events.
Really enjoy this forum. Thanks a ton.
Wait, she is in 12U and have such a schedule? DD moved to a 14U National team, and of the 4 tourneys in the fall, the team did 3 out of town. I felt like that's too much, esp. they lost every single game. It cost us over $5K in travel, and I couldn't imagine how many out of town they'd do in the Sprint/Summer. That's one of the 3 top reasons she left that team.

She just joined another 14U National team, and we specifically searched for a team that's not crazy about out of town. For the upcoming Spring/Summer season, her new team is going to all local tourneys except for 2. That's plenty, and there are tons of great tourneys within 90 mins from us. If we find a great last-min hotel room for cheap, we may stay overnight to avoid driving back, otherwise, we have the option to drive home. Unless you live in an area that doesn't have any good tourney's around, 12U shouldn't travel that much.

DD is now old enough that I'm ok if she travels with the team without us, hence saving $. But before this year, I wouldn't even consider that. 12U is definitely too young to be traveling without parents.

Jun 17, 2021
Wait, she is in 12U and have such a schedule? DD moved to a 14U National team, and of the 4 tourneys in the fall, the team did 3 out of town. I felt like that's too much, esp. they lost every single game. It cost us over $5K in travel, and I couldn't imagine how many out of town they'd do in the Sprint/Summer. That's one of the 3 top reasons she left that team.

She just joined another 14U National team, and we specifically searched for a team that's not crazy about out of town. For the upcoming Spring/Summer season, her new team is going to all local tourneys except for 2. That's plenty, and there are tons of great tourneys within 90 mins from us. If we find a great last-min hotel room for cheap, we may stay overnight to avoid driving back, otherwise, we have the option to drive home. Unless you live in an area that doesn't have any good tourney's around, 12U shouldn't travel that much.

DD is now old enough that I'm ok if she travels with the team without us, hence saving $. But before this year, I wouldn't even consider that. 12U is definitely too young to be traveling without parents.
Yes, 5 summer tournaments. 3 travel 2 local. Again, kind of new to the process and unsure of what to expect and the norms. I just assumed thats why they call it TB. lol

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yes, 5 summer tournaments. 3 travel 2 local. Again, kind of new to the process and unsure of what to expect and the norms. I just assumed thats why they call it TB. lol
Five summer tournaments is within norm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi