Tournament camping?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I had a big Class A RV for years and sold it when DD went off to college. Many times we would take it to tournaments and just stay at the complex if it was big enough or a campground if not. We towed the car behind so we could do the team dinners and other team functions. Many times several of her teammates would also spend the nights with us.

During the hot Summer days, we'd drive it to the complex early in the morning if staying at a campground. In between games, the entire team would pile in to sit in the A/C and watch TV. We (parents and I) would extend the outdoor canopy and set up a buffet style lunch under it. It was great all the way around for us and my team. As someone said it's more glamping than camping but it was still a lot of fun. If you were thinking about a tent or pop-up though, I probably wouldn't recommend it being away from the site for extended periods of time since they're relatively easy to get into.

Oct 10, 2018
For those with camping gear who like to camp probably not a big deal or expense but for us, personally we don't camp. IIWY would stay in local tourneys for 12U unless the competition is really poor. Maybe 1-2 overnight drive-aways at that age.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I agree 💯% with this comment. While it's understandable that both parents want to see their child play the games, it's entirely unfair to drag the younger siblings to these events. Not only that, but it adds to cost and time. Getting two people out and ready takes a lot less time than getting four or five out the door.

As for camping; I'd have to say no way, unless you own an RV. Too many things can go wrong. If cost is an issue, maybe a team fundraiser can help offset the cost.

Oct 4, 2018
I hate camping.

I just wanted to say that. I wake up with sore back, tired, grumpy, no shower to help wake me up. My daughter would have to quit softball if that was the only option.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I had a big Class A RV

During the hot Summer days, we'd drive it to the complex early in the morning if staying at a campground. In between games, the entire team would pile in to sit in the A/C and watch TV. We (parents and I) would extend the outdoor canopy and set up a buffet style lunch under it. It was great all the way around for us and my team. As someone said it's more glamping than camping but it was still a lot of fun. If you were thinking about a tent or pop-up though, I probably wouldn't recommend it being away from the site for extended periods of time since they're relatively easy to get into.
Imagine that was SUPER FUN for team and all!
Way to go!

Jan 28, 2017
My family normally takes about 7 or 8 people. Normally doesn't work out but if close we try to rent a cabin at the local State Park. Great experience every time we can rent a cabin. They are normally booked. Looked last night for July and booked. Cost becomes cheaper for us.

Jun 17, 2021
about 3-4 families RV camp for our tournaments, half stay in hotels, and the rest will share a house. for week long tournaments the house sharing is awesome and really cheap compared to hotels and you can do a lot of the cooking instead of eating out.
Camping or glamping? RV/Trailer I think is common. Pitching a tent somewhere I haven't seen.
Yeah, I was thinking rv/trailer.

Jun 17, 2021
about 3-4 families RV camp for our tournaments, half stay in hotels, and the rest will share a house. for week long tournaments the house sharing is awesome and really cheap compared to hotels and you can do a lot of the cooking instead of eating out.
I like the house idea a lot.

Jun 17, 2021
We did go camping with DD team one summer before the start of the seadon. Three nights, it was a lot of fun but I wouldn't want to do it for a softball tournament.
As for dragging the younger siblings around, did you ever consider leaving one parent and the other kids home? Most of DD's away games my wife stayed home with our son, it was great for me, not having to worry about entertaining other kid, just watching softball then hanging with other parents at night, and my wife didn't mind it either, she wasn't a big fan of all the traveling.
I don't think my wife or I want to miss a single inning, but I do like the way you roll...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi