Tough situation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I am thinking is the reason for the panic has less to do with HS coach being fired, and more to do with new coach being their DD's former TB coach. Some bad history and fear of possible "retribution" is my guess.

As someone else said... burnt bridges IMO.

Apr 22, 2012
As someone else said... burnt bridges IMO.

That's not it. My DD can and will play for him.

This team is made up of 1 senior, 1 junior and 13 underclassmen, including 2 eighth graders. That is a total of 15 girls to fill both V and JV. My concern is that DD has worked her tail-end off all winter long preparing for games and may not have a team to play for if 4 or 5 quit. One of the 15 has not returned to practice this week. There are alot of miserable looking girls coming off the field when practice is over. Hope it all holds together for the season, but very doubtful it will.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
My concern is that DD has worked her tail-end off all winter long preparing for games and may not have a team to play for if 4 or 5 quit.
If you DD wants to have a high school team then maybe your DD needs to step up as a team leader. Nows the time to be the team cheerleader. Your DD worked to hard to let a coaching change effect her and the team. The new coach will see that from great examples your DD shows on and off the field. Good luck.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
If you DD wants to have a high school team then maybe your DD needs to step up as a team leader. Nows the time to be the team cheerleader. Your DD worked to hard to let a coaching change effect her and the team. The new coach will see that from great examples your DD shows on and off the field. Good luck.

Rdbass makes an excellent point here. I completely understand your concern, and based on the information provided, concern would be justified. But the "never give up" line can apply before the game even starts. It may be difficult for one player to save the team, but it may just be a matter of one player making the effort. Hopefully other players will follow. Good luck!!

Nov 29, 2009
One of the 15 has not returned to practice this week. There are alot of miserable looking girls coming off the field when practice is over. Hope it all holds together for the season, but very doubtful it will.

Often adults do not give the kids enough credit for knowing when some REALLY wrong has been done. From the very little information you've provided it sounds like the coach got the boot over some type of disagreement with the AD. Maybe he didn't take the kid of an administrator on the team or something like that. Especially if you state there are no legal/moral/ethical issues that you know about. Did you ever directly ask your DD what she heard? You never said if the coach lost his position at the school.

I know the politics in small town schools can be brutal. Several years back a coach took an elementary softball team to the state finals and won. The coach did not play the politics games with the team. He took the best players and played the best players. During a post-game interview the coach described one of his pitchers as being the "horse" of the pitching staff because she did most the pitching for the team. The next thing he knew he was fired. One of the school admins whose DD he did not take on team said the girl who did the pitching was "upset" because he called her a horse. She started a ton of crap for the coach. So he quit and the program returned to mediocrity once again.

Dec 19, 2012
Question: Would your dd have tried out for the softball team if the ex-TB coach was the HC the entire time? I'm guessing the answer is yes. Your dd and dw need to quit the drama crap. Your dd needs to focus on playing softball.

Apr 22, 2012
Question: Would your dd have tried out for the softball team if the ex-TB coach was the HC the entire time? I'm guessing the answer is yes. Your dd and dw need to quit the drama crap. Your dd needs to focus on playing softball.

Honestly she would not have tried out. I had not mentioned that she is in the 8th grade playing up. If she would have known he was going to be coach, she would have played middle-school ball this year.

This will be my last post. DD will play as long as there is somewhere to play. Honestly, I regret even posting what I have. Just needed to vent somerwhere. We will try to keep a positive attitude towards the team and hold our tounges around the rest of the team and parents. I don't want to be "that" parent that constantly keeps everything stirred up. Looking forward to watching from the outfield.:cool:

Thanks to all that have replied.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Dear Abby used to say something about writing down the pros and cons of a situation. Pro - DD loves softball. She has worked hard.
Con - too much drama. It effects our family dynamics.

It truly doesn't sound like this situation is going to help your DD gain anything in travel ball. I would encourage her to swim or join a gym, instead.

Mar 25, 2011
Well, we play softball because we love it. I say we, because I still love going out on my rec team and playing. If young lady loves it, then play. The dynamics of a team and such will always present an opportunity to quit, choosing to play can develop so much more than talent here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah