Too Many Teams

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Don't most of us agree that there are far more Travel teams today than there were 10, 15, 20 years ago? How could that not dilute the talent?

Apr 1, 2017
There are other, longer threads that address this topic, so I won't go into too much detail. But it does make sense that there are many terrific athletes that never pick up a bat because they're playing soccer year-round. The absence of those top athletes must take the level of the game down a notch.

Small sample size, but our organization had 3 good players on the 10U team that also played travel soccer. As they aged up to 12U, 2 of them quit softball. The 3rd joined the 12U team and finished the season with the best batting average, but because of soccer she didn't come back for second year of 12U.

Jun 12, 2015
Small sample size, but our organization had 3 good players on the 10U team that also played travel soccer. As they aged up to 12U, 2 of them quit softball. The 3rd joined the 12U team and finished the season with the best batting average, but because of soccer she didn't come back for second year of 12U.

I would think it would be kind of a wash. For example, my DD tried both basketball and soccer. She's generally athletic and was good at both of them. But in the end she only wanted to play softball. We lose some to other sports but the opposite happens too. Though I know popularity of individual sports varies over time.

Jul 14, 2018
I would think it would be kind of a wash. For example, my DD tried both basketball and soccer. She's generally athletic and was good at both of them. But in the end she only wanted to play softball. We lose some to other sports but the opposite happens too. Though I know popularity of individual sports varies over time.
There has to be some truth to this as well. My DD has played soccer, basketball, and field hockey. She loves softball and that's all she's focused on now.

Apr 1, 2017
I think it is a wash currently, but if the argument is comparing things to "back in my day", specialization probably has watered things down for any individual sport.

I still feel that whether things are watered down or not doesn't matter. I'm all for having as many teams as possible, if that means more girls are playing softball. There is no reason to consider travel teams (in any sport) some kind of elite club available to only the best of the best. If you have the $500, $1000, $5000, $20000 a year to allow your child to play, it's good that there is a team out there willing to accept them.

Aug 2, 2019
Don't most of us agree that there are far more Travel teams today than there were 10, 15, 20 years ago? How could that not dilute the talent?
It also means that there is more talent playing the game. There are lots of athletes that choose gymnastics, volleyball, basketball, soccer, etc, that now have the opportunity to play softball. Without all those teams these girls that are good athletes with undeveloped talent would not have a place to get started in the sport if they haven't played until age 11 or older. Not everybody finds softball at age 5.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

There is also more specialized training now then there was 20 years ago. Pitching, fielding, hitting, clinics, etc. Elite players are still elite players. But the number of quality players has increased tremendously. Sure there are also more untrained or lesser skilled players as well. The biggest difference is that at one point, players truly had to be much better than average in order to get on a travel team. Now, virtually any player is able to find a travel team to play on. Personally, I don't see that as an issue. But I think it would be good for everyone if there was a better way to rank and separate teams. Unfortunately I don't have any good solutions for that. At least not any that everyone would agree with. Having an "A" level team that is playing down to "B" playing against a "C" level team that is playing up to "B" is not good for anyone.

May 6, 2015
think all the alphabets need to instill some sort of relegation. finish in the bottom say 10% of A year 1, move down to B year 2 , finish in bottom of B year 1, move down to C year 2. finish in bottom of C, cannot coach a A/B/C team the next year. need to combat coaches just putting a different name in by looking at players, if 6 or more are from same previous team, then they are presumed to pretty much be that team just with new coach. works in reverse as well, if team finishes say in top 10% of C, they move to B, unless moving up an age bracket, etc.

Oct 4, 2018
There is also more specialized training now then there was 20 years ago. Pitching, fielding, hitting, clinics, etc. Elite players are still elite players. But the number of quality players has increased tremendously. Sure there are also more untrained or lesser skilled players as well. The biggest difference is that at one point, players truly had to be much better than average in order to get on a travel team. Now, virtually any player is able to find a travel team to play on. Personally, I don't see that as an issue. But I think it would be good for everyone if there was a better way to rank and separate teams. Unfortunately I don't have any good solutions for that. At least not any that everyone would agree with. Having an "A" level team that is playing down to "B" playing against a "C" level team that is playing up to "B" is not good for anyone.

I agree.

It's just frustrating (to me) that there are 25-30 10U travel teams playing in my area. Perhaps more. And they all seem to be missing 1-3 pieces. Need a pitcher! Need a catcher! Need MI!

And that means teams where you get through the top 6 batters and then have 3 easy outs. Hit a ball to 2B of LF and you'll be safe. Hit it anywhere else you're probably out. It makes for weird games.

Also, as you say, you have teams playing down that absolutely crush other teams. Also no fun.

Seems that if we could shake up all the teams we could construct some really great competition across all of the levels (A, B, C) and have girls improve and love the game. It would probably settle down the parents a lot as well.

Jun 8, 2016
USSSA can reclassify during the season but rarely does. The initial classification is done by the HC.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00