Too early to predict WCWS Champion?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 20, 2012
My grandmother's family split up in the 1830s, with most of the family heading out west, and a small part of the family heading west to Nashville. Lots of trouble in those days. My ancestors were big names in the Treaty Party, run by Major Ridge. There was a nasty war with John Ross' anti treaty party that lasted about 50 years.

One of my ancestors, "Chief Jack" Walker was assassinated at the Council of Red Clay in 1835 for advocating a treaty of removal. His widow, Emily Meigs, had no one to turn to, since her brother Return Meigs III was married to Johanna Ross, Chief John Ross' daughter, and John Ross had ordered the assassination.
Later Jack's father, Major John Walker was one of the signers of treaty. Return Johnathan Meigs the eldest signed for the USA.
Major Walker was assassinated in Indian Territory in what is now OK in 1838 by order of Chief Ross. Note that Major Walker had been Ross' commanding officer in 1812, under General Andrew Jackson, in the Battle of Horseshoe Bend against the Creeks, who were allied with Tecumsah, and armed by the British.
All but one of the leaders of the Treaty Party were assassinated the same day.
Stand Watie, nephew of Major Ridge, killed his assassin, who turned out to be the same assassin who killed Jack Walker 3 years earlier. Watie was arrested in Fort Smith, and demanded to be tried in front of The Hanging Judge, since he could not get a fair trial in Indian Territory.

One of Jack Walker's daughters was married at age 14 and went to a farm outside Nashville, rather than heading to IT. I visited the farm in 1977. The family sold it in 1980, finally probating a will from the 1800s. Walker's daughter could not legally own land in Tennessee, since she wasn't white enough. One of my Okie cousins teaches physics at Vanderbilt, and keeps in touch with the kinfolk there.

Things really got nasty during the War. Ross sided with the Yankees, so of course his enemies sided with the CSA. Confederate General Stand Watie used the War as a way to get revenge. Note that Watie was the first non-white General in American history and the last Confederate General to surrender.

By the late 1800s the fueds finally ended. A lot of my family's Tenn branch went over to Indian Territory to be with their relatives. The last one over was my great-grandmother, who arrived in the very early 1900s. My grandmother was born just before statehood.

That is very cool. I love hearing those stories and how people came to settle out here!

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
That is very cool. I love hearing those stories and how people came to settle out here!

OK has a really unique history. My grandfather got to meet Quannah Parker shortly before the great chief's death, for example. At the time the UN was formed, there were more nations in OK than in the UN.
Or, the Cherokee have been the most highly literate and educated people in the history of the planet for the past 150+ years, with the other "civilized" tribes close behind. Sequoya had a lot to do with that.

I remember my grandmother showing me a picture of one of Sequoya's cousins and advisors. The guy had a ring through his nose and wore a turban. My grandmother put on her most serious face until she couldnt help grinning.
"Bob", she said, very solumnly, "this is your ancestor. Isn't he cute?"

Jan 20, 2013
How about those Hawkeyes!! Great evening of watching softball. Now have plans for tomorrow after daughter gets done with pool play. GO HAWKS!!!

Dec 20, 2012
OK has a really unique history. My grandfather got to meet Quannah Parker shortly before the great chief's death, for example. At the time the UN was formed, there were more nations in OK than in the UN.
Or, the Cherokee have been the most highly literate and educated people in the history of the planet for the past 150+ years, with the other "civilized" tribes close behind. Sequoya had a lot to do with that.

I remember my grandmother showing me a picture of one of Sequoya's cousins and advisors. The guy had a ring through his nose and wore a turban. My grandmother put on her most serious face until she couldnt help grinning.
"Bob", she said, very solumnly, "this is your ancestor. Isn't he cute?"

My gma was a Parker. The family did a pretty extensive lineage of the family back to Hezekiah V Parker, 1810-1852. His son was my gma's great gpa, Josiah. Josiah's family came from Benton Co. MO via Bledsoe Co. Tenn in mid 1800's. He came thru Ft Smith to TX before settling into Indian terr when homesteading opened and paid $1.20 an acre, what a bargain. The book has all kinds of stories from 6 generations, most telling about moving and settling. All the towns that weren't even that when they settled. Some of the lineage is lost from lack of records, but they put together a hypothetical that could have our family and Quannah's family together. Josiah and some other relatives lived in the Sugden area and had the chance to meet Quannah. Josiah's daughter, Dolly recalled Quannah calling her dad "cousin" and the rest of the family "kin". So I've got that going for me. lol

Here's a couple pics. The one with X is Quannah the other is of what would be my Gma's gpa and his brothers and sister(1890's). After looking at some of my kin those comments from JJ may be warranted.

And it was a disappointing loss for the Ducks today! Hope they bounce back tomorrow. I'm sure Hawkins will be back on the mound. Throw some softball in there. lol
photo (2).jpgphoto (3).jpg

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
The Parker family was one of the more amazing families of the Old West.
The amazing thing is while the Comanche knew Quanah was half white, and he had a rough time growing up, the white Americans did not. His mother was quite famous for being rescued from the Comanche, although she was a virtual prisoner in Texas because she kept trying to run back to the Comanche.

When Quannah finally surrendered, he revealed himself as Cynthia Parker's son, and asked what had become of his mother. She was dead by then. No surprise he would be happy to see his Parker relatives.

My grandfather grew up in Duncan, which had a lot of Comanche in the area. He said the Comanche would have a month long pow-wow every summer, many arriving a month early and staying a month late. They would build arbors and camp out for the summer.

Interesting side note: no hotels in Duncan back then. Families would take in newcomers as boarders. A fellow named Haliburton boarded with my great-grandparents. Dick Cheney later resigned as CEO of Haliburton's company to run for Vice President.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi