To tryout or not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
My DD went to a top level tryout in our area to see how she stacked up. I don't consider it a waste of the orgs time, any more than they say all positions are open but their entire team is there and will be offered a position first.

After having her coach belittle her, chew her out, give her zero positive feedback, she wanted to see if she was really that bad. Turns out, she was the best. When a coach tells a player she's only getting time at her #2 position because she was "terrible" on the field and it was less risk for the team, they fail as a coach.

However, the intent of joining that team was there correct? I mean if they offered her a spot would she take it or go back to the coach that belittled her? That is a major difference in my mind.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
She would joined that team if it were up to her, yes. For that team specifically, it's wasn't a situation of going for practice.

However, we have done that. It allows us to see how the coaches interact and treat players, and wasn't likely a team she would have joined. It also allowed her to get in front of other coaches for future opportunities, and see how she stacks up.

R

RayR

I'm sorry - but if you have to ask this question on a forum then you probably know the right thing to do (or not to do)...

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
If you think there is a remote chance that she is "thinking about another team" then do it. If asked just tell the coach she asked to do this. You guys are happy where she is however it is her decision to make and so you are here because she wants to check it out. If there is no chance it is going to happen then NO DO NOT GO. It is wasting the coaches and your time.

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
Send her. Having been on both sides of the fence I'd have no qualms about this. Tryouts come with no guarantees for anyone and everyone is being reviewed, players by coaches and coaches by players. Coaches who worry about the looky-loos wasting their precious time should charge a tryout fee.

Jul 2, 2013
However, the intent of joining that team was there correct? I mean if they offered her a spot would she take it or go back to the coach that belittled her? That is a major difference in my mind.

However, is the teams intent on the open tryout to give every player a fair shot without predetermined positions already filled due to past affiliations? I mean if a 3B or C was better than an existing team player would she be offered the #1 spot? That is a major difference in my mind.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
However, is the teams intent on the open tryout to give every player a fair shot without predetermined positions already filled due to past affiliations? I mean if a 3B or C was better than an existing team player would she be offered the #1 spot? That is a major difference in my mind.

IMO if they post all positions open...then yes (although I already know many, many teams who don't but say all positions). I don't understand the concept of some of the coaches ideas for tryouts. I mean if you have returners that you WANT and they want to play, then why not post for specific positions that your looking to fill. To be honest, the returners shouldn't even have to tryout because you already know how they play...

Oct 7, 2009
At 11 years old, who knows what could happen. She could get there and find that she meshes really well with these girls and want to make a change. If you're OK with that, I'd let her go. If you have no intention of letting her switch even if she finds she likes the other team better, I'd save your time and the coach's time and skip it.

On a slightly related note, it's a potential life lesson for your daughter. Let's say she makes this other team and wants to switch. You now have an opportunity to discuss real life decision making, issues of loyalty versus self-improvement, discussion of her goals vis a vis softball, etc.

Jul 2, 2013
IMO if they post all positions open...then yes (although I already know many, many teams who don't but say all positions). I don't understand the concept of some of the coaches ideas for tryouts. I mean if you have returners that you WANT and they want to play, then why not post for specific positions that your looking to fill. To be honest, the returners shouldn't even have to tryout because you already know how they play...

I post here because we have been through about every single circumstance with the travel ball circuit. The folks who ask questions are looking for answers, and probably are new yet to the game.

Instead of taking the coaches, teams side, I try to enlighten people of how the system really works. It is an inside game. Open tryouts, are not really open, ever. Politics exist no matter where you play. Marginal players are prone to having big org's take your money, offering vague promises, without realizing some of the real studs don't always pay their full share, you are for them.

My advice to all is figure out how the inside works, and a way to become part of the inside. And always carefully evaluate the talent level of your player so you get your money's worth.

We went from being on the outside looking in, to being on the inside looking out. It is not always pretty, but definitely a better view. We always pay our fair share.

In short it is a people's game. Get other folks, somehow, some way, to be champion's for your DD, and you are in. You simply cannot go it alone. The playing field is never level, and you must find someone else to tilt the field your direction. It is an ongoing, continual process, as the influential people on your side always change, while the old influence remains. That is how you win at softball.

The talent of your DD determines much of it. The parents determine the path.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd