To move up or stay down.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Hey
My daughter is an 8U player who just finished all-stars. Our team did pretty well making it to the State tournament and finishing in the top 8. She would probaly be viewed as an impact player on her team. She plays pitcher and shortstop, and hits either first or third in the lineup. She is also the youngest girl on the team and has another year of eligibilty for 8U. If she moves up she will get to play with her firends and most of her all star temamates and she will be challenged game in and game out. If she stays down she will dominate and be a leader. She may also become bored staying down, she may be overwhelmed moving up. Some say play up during the season and move down for all-stars, but she is a pitcher and that is a drastic change in distance and ball size. Still not sure what i am going to do.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
(You and I have had this conversation, but I'll weigh in with my opinion and see how other people respond, too.)

I know this player well. She was my DD's teammate during the regular rec season, and on the All-Star team. In 8U, she's the best all-around player in our league. She's a fantastic pitcher, holding her own with the best at the District and State tournaments. She fields, catches, and throws as good or better than anyone else on the All-Star team. She hits with good consistency and decent power. This girl is a wonderful talent and a fierce competitor.

IMO, in 8U rec league she will be so far above everyone else, I can see her getting bored, frustrated, and falling into some bad habits because of it. There is only one other player from the 8U All-Star team returning to the 8U division, and she is nowhere the same level in skill or maturity. In 10U, it might be a challenge for her, but not one she can't handle. She's the kind of player that raises her game to meet the level of the challenge. Honestly, I think it will be a good experience for her to play with girls who are better than her. Granted, her young age shows when things get a little rocky, but she is learning how to keep her emotions in check and keep her focus.

Also, if playing 10U during Fall Ball turns out to be too much, she can go to back 8U for the Spring season.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2013
Ball size should be the same for 8U and 10U, DD’s pitching distance was the same too. 35’. If your DD is moving from 30’ to 35’ I would not worry about it too much.

If she can stay with her friends and be one of the top, let’s say 5, players on her Team I would her up.

I do not know your rules and quality of players but we had a machine backup in 8U, 10U the pitcher was on their own. There were a lot of walk feasts so I am not sure the 10U game was better.

She is in no hurry so just think it thru the best you can. Look at the coaches too.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
In our league, 8U uses a 10" ball @ 30', 10U uses an 11" ball @ 35'.

8U league play uses coach-pitch after 4 balls. All-Stars is all player-pitch.

SyndreSoftball's DD doesn't walk very many batters.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2011
Other than playing with her friends, another reason to consider keeping her in 8u is that there will likely be a greater level of ASA championship play available for 8u All-Stars in your area next summer.

She should probably move up, though, because 8u can be painful for the parents of a talented player who wants to perform well.

Jan 24, 2013
Bolingbrook, IL
Move her up, although depending on the quality of the players in the league, she could still be an awesome player with a so-so team and get frustrated if the rest of the team doesn't field, throw, hit or play with the same intensity she does.

We moved DD up to 12u even though she still had one year of eligibility at 10u. Now we are considering TB for next year. Just because the girls are older, it doesn't mean they can play any better.

Yeah me a nd you have had this conversation many times E. As soon as I lean towards one decision or the other, something happens to sway me back. Fountain Valley Tourney she was in a slump, it made me think Ok maybe 8u is what she needs another year, then she goes 9 for 10 at states. SHe was struggling pitching a few games, then beat a quality team at state. She just loves the game so much, and as a father I just want to make the right decision for her. I dont know if another year will benefit her emotinally, or hinder her from the competition level.

We dont use machine pitch in 8 in our leauge, after 4 balls you get coach pitch for the remaining strikes the girl has. but that is taken away mid-season to get ready for all-stars. I saw some huge overpowering girls at the state tournament, and a part of me wants to give her an opportunity to be completely dominant next year in all-stars, but I dont know if that is what is best. Ive thought about this for a while now and im still 50/50

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Does your league allow her to play 10U rec and 8U all starts next year? If that's the case, then that's the way I'd lean.

Jan 24, 2013
Bolingbrook, IL
I saw some huge overpowering girls at the state tournament, and a part of me wants to give her an opportunity to be completely dominant next year in all-stars, but I dont know if that is what is best. Ive thought about this for a while now and im still 50/50

What does she want to do? Would she prefer to be an 8u superstar or maybe just be an average player compared to the others and play with her friends. I bet friends will win and that's OK at 8 years old. Hard for a parent to hear, but that's why we haven't jumped at TB yet. She doesn't want to go play in possibly another town away from her friends.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid