To Coach or Not To Coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I would have tried if you had pitching. You can hide players in the fall with decent pitchers. No pitching means you cannot be competetive. Better off spending time one on one with the kids that want to practice. You will be miserable if you coach.

This sounds like a good idea. I may talk to the girls who tried out tonight and see if they want to get together the next 3 weekends for practice and try to schedule a "friendly" win a U12 team in the next town to see if we even have a chance to compete. If it looks like we can we can then shoot for 3 tournaments in Oct/Nov - if it looks like we can't we'll just have some developmental practice time towards next spring season.

Feb 3, 2011
Good suggestion. Unfortuantely it looks like the rec leagues in our immediate area are primarily spring, as soccer seems to dominate the fall rec slate.
Soccer is king in fall, but we have fall rec program that's run by our regional governing body instead of the local rec leagues. There's light travel involved and the teams play a couple of tournaments in addition to a 6-7 week season of doubleheaders. The players end up getting 20 games or so.

With so many kids playing soccer, it's tough to manage schedules, but soccer plays on Saturdays and softball plays on Sundays.

Oct 19, 2009
This sounds like a good idea. I may talk to the girls who tried out tonight and see if they want to get together the next 3 weekends for practice and try to schedule a "friendly" win a U12 team in the next town to see if we even have a chance to compete. If it looks like we can we can then shoot for 3 tournaments in Oct/Nov - if it looks like we can't we'll just have some developmental practice time towards next spring season.

Keep us informed on what happens and good luck!!!!!!:cool:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My suggestion would be to take your DD and find another team for her this fall. Take all that time you were going to put into the team and invest it exclusively in the fall.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
First let me say thanks to all for being a sounding board. Really appreciate the feedback.

We've decided not to run a fall U12 team and contacted all the girls thanking them for comming out. Our U14s have a few open slots so several of the better U12s will likely play up with that squad.

DD & I are going to take the fall off to work on her swing.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Oh glad you got it resolved. I'm in NorCal and we put together a TB team of mostly young newbies in the summer and "took our lumps". There were numerous "young" and "B" teams that lost a lot out there. If the girls are really into it and willing, you might not win much but you still get a lot of games and the improvement will be tremendous. Still, as was mentioned, with no pitching that makes it quite difficult.

Good luck with the swing

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00