To Coach or Not To Coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Long time lurker and first time poster. I've found many of the treads on this site very helpful. Especially how to be a better SB parent.

Our org finished up its summer season and there was some clamoring to have a fall season. Long and short the majority of the summer team including the whole pitching staff decided not to play FB.

There were only 10 girls at the tryout and no one interested in head coaching.

I have coached rec for a number of years and done some assiting on all-star travel offered to HC if no one else would step up. I have one AC who whose DD decided to skip FB but said he'd still AC.

The problem is we have no experience TB pitchers and 4 or 5 girls who are barely rec quality.

Would it be better to skip the fall season altogether or give it a go, try to recruit 2 more players and a 2nd AC and set partent expectation so they know we are a team that is going to take some lumps?

Anyone else been in this situation before?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
No pitching, 4 kids who can't even play rec ball, a newbie coach, and you want to play TB in one of the premier softball locations in the world...

You are aware that "The Bad News Bears" is not a documentary, right?

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
run!sweet lou,run like the wind!,spend this time working with your dd,or if you don't allready get her with a BC or PC if she pitches,

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
No pitching, 4 kids who can't even play rec ball, a newbie coach, and you want to play TB in one of the premier softball locations in the world...

You are aware that "The Bad News Bears" is not a documentary, right?

Ha,ha love the Bad News Bear reference - if only I had a girl like Tatum O'niels charater.

As for premier SB location, yes I'm aware but there are a few lower key B-tournaments and those would be the ones we would play in if we go forward.

But thanks to both you and nanotech for confirmmimg my thoughts that this is probably a situation better avoided.

Oh and age is U12 I think I forgot mention that.

Feb 3, 2011
Where are you? My recommendation is to join a fall rec league and do it ASAP, because the games are starting soon in most areas. You can do it with 10 girls and 1 AC, but keep your goals realistic and let your parents know that from the start.

Oct 19, 2009
Don’t throw these kids to the wolves!!! If you can find a league where they can be competitive and have a chance to win then do that, but what you are suggesting. NO!

I did it years ago with a solid rec-team and a good pitcher and catcher and beat some good teams, had some marginal players who quit the first tournament because they just could not keep up with the teams we were playing. Some wanted to play infield and I was concerned for their safety. Some of their parents would not speak to me for years.

When my good pitcher pitched we would win or play a very close game. When any one else pitched we would get creamed.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Where are you? My recommendation is to join a fall rec league and do it ASAP, because the games are starting soon in most areas. You can do it with 10 girls and 1 AC, but keep your goals realistic and let your parents know that from the start.

Good suggestion. Unfortuantely it looks like the rec leagues in our immediate area are primarily spring, as soccer seems to dominate the fall rec slate.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I would have tried if you had pitching. You can hide players in the fall with decent pitchers. No pitching means you cannot be competetive. Better off spending time one on one with the kids that want to practice. You will be miserable if you coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28