Timing is Timing ~ It takes training

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
There is no deception with a Jugs machine. There is with a live pitcher.
With either there has to be timing within the swing.

As you mentioned hitting 70 mph in a cage
that training would still be useful/ needed to create timing for it.

~a beautiful swing without timing is only a beautiful swing.

Jun 18, 2023
if it was just about timing literally anyone could hit 70, or 100, it's just a matter of learning when to swing.

May 13, 2023
It is not often that I comment in hitting discussions. But because I see so many people talking about swing mechanics,
over and over and over talking about mechanics
change this mechanic
fix that mechanic
do this with your mechanics
do that with your mechanics....
( okay great Define mechanics and make them good. But while all those adjustments are happening there is also timing adjustments in the swing that the brain has to then compute to timing with the ball)

From that,
Thought it important to bring up a really critical element and that is timing.

Hitting off the tee and other hitting drills where the ball is stagnant might be good for a consistent swing but it does not develop timing.

Much prefer a moving softball/ ball
while developing hitters.

*Reminder working on bunting reinforces timing and hand eye coordination!

May 27, 2013
I didn’t feel it was useful to time my swing off of the machine when my teammate used to drop the ball into the shoot of the machine. I knew to start my swing at that moment - but it in no way helped with timing a live pitcher. We would crank that machine up as high as it could go and everyone looked like they were hitting dingers off it.

Now maybe if the machine feeder uses an arm circle to drop the ball into the machine that might help slightly - but every live pitcher’s windup is different.

If anything the machine gave a sense of false confidence (hope) that they’d be able to hit in games after crushing machine pitch.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I'm trying to figure the point of the post. Paige Halstead was an okay hitter, at best. Is the implication here that she could hit off a MLB pitcher with regularity? If so, that's just foolish. I can crush a 70 MPH pitch off a Jugs machine all day long, but put me in the box against Valerie Cagle, and I'd look like a fool.

While I love the content Eric and Trevor put out, it's done to garner views. Showing Bauer strike her out repeatedly wouldn't increase their views.

Realistic question here. What do you think a .400 P5 hitter would hit at the Major league level? I'd bet it was under .100.
Many cannot hit off jugs machine set at 70 mph. In fact, I would say most.
Many hitters when facing higher velo try to swing harder/faster than their normal tee swing resulting in pulling down and under the ball. Also, hitters tense up when facing velo which actually makes them slower.
So, mindset, approach and timing and even rhythm are important to hitting.

Jun 18, 2023
( okay great Define mechanics and make them good. But while all those adjustments are happening there is also timing adjustments in the swing that the brain has to then compute to timing with the ball)

The better your mechanics, the cleaner and quicker your swing is, the lower your reaction time needs to be. If you have janky swing that takes for ever, it doesn't matter if you've timed the pitcher well, because you'd need to start that swing while the pitcher still has the ball, and they could throw it to the moon and you'd still be committed to swinging.

Timing a pitch is 100% based on your swing's timing. You see it a lot at lower levels, especially coach pitch. I'll be throwing pitches to a girl early in the season, and by the end of the season she's refined her swing and is way ahead of it, and I have to throw it faster (and/or teach her to time it, wait for it)

Timing is nothing without the swing mechanics.

And even then. Pitching is all about absolutely messing with your timing. It's literally the whole point of a changeup.

May 13, 2023
The better your mechanics, the cleaner and quicker your swing is, the lower your reaction time needs to be.
That is only pending the type of mechanics that someone is choosing. Not all mechanics are as fast as others.

Timing a pitch is 100% based on your swing's timing.
+ visual reaction!
That is why it's important to recognize that when people are constantly looking to change mechanics they are also changing the timing within those mechanics that is applied to timing hitting the ball.

Timing is nothing without the swing mechanics.
Swing mechanics change often. Possibly timing may be more critical because of that. 🤷‍♀️
... even bad swing mechanics can make contact = bad mechanics good timing!

Lots of great swings that don't make contact because the timing was thrown off by pitchers changing speeds..
= good swing bad timing

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi