Time to adjust the offense/defense balance in college ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
But at the same time - I watched an overload of college SB this weekend and I was amazed at the number of "up-ballers" that were pitching versus ONLY ONE down-baller (from Illinois). And ironically the Illinois "down-baller" got hurt by a dropball HR.....

But I saw alot of effective up-ballers!

Mar 26, 2013
Watering down, I don't see that. As with most ''young'' sports, I think the talent and skill level continues to rise rather quickly. Not sure how watering down of talent in youth ball is a factor. The more players playing year-round/tournament ball, the better, IMO.
I agree. The "waterering down" complaint only holds true at the lower local levels. The expansion of the sport has increased the entire pyramid so there are more and better players at the top. The range of talent in TB from the top to the bottom is greater than before, but there are also more stepping stones for players to rise to the top.

Like a lot of youth sports, the upper level used to be dominated by gifted athletes that also played other sports. Less-gifted athletes have closed the gap by specializing in a sport and working on it year-round with the aid of private instruction.

I tend to think hitters are catching up to pitchers. These dominant pitchers of yore were obviously working pretty hard, doing it year-round. I just think that as the sport gets more popular and more and more players get involved that more and more hitters are going to train year-round, getting coach, etc.
I have a slightly different view. There weren't as many elite pitchers before, so hitters weren't facing them as often. The top hitters today are facing top pitching on a regular basis now, which has helped them catch up.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2014
Although they pushed center back a little, the softball parks are still symmetrical, where as baseball center fields are pushed back a lot further due to the batted ball physics. A light hitting baseball player will pull the ball to the warning track and also hit to the warning track in center. One ball travels 320 feet and the other 390. In college softball, that ball to center goes out. As mentioned in an earlier post. The equipment advances to enhance statistical performance has gone beyond the limits of the fields. This was also done in others sports.....golf, tennis, bowling (I remember when some houses gave a new car for a sanctioned 300).
It will cost money to change the fields or the NCAA will have to go to the BBCOR (Bat Ball Coefficient of Restitution) as used in the NCAA Baseball, or stay the same and publicize the fantastic accomplishments to draw attention.

Mar 26, 2013
NCAA have expanded the minimum field sizes over the past few years, but they didn't go far enough because some schools don't have room to do it (e.g. UCLA). To me, the real benefit would be to open it up for more exciting live-ball extra-base hits and increase the importance of OF defense.

For all new construction after 2016, it is required that the fence be 6 feet or higher and be a minimum of 190 feet in left and right fields and 220 in center field. By 2017, an institutional field with a 4-foot fence must be a minimum of 210 feet in left and right fields and 230 in center field, and it is highly recommended that a municipal field with a 4-foot fence used by the institution be at those same distances.

I've been watching Utah games whenever I can and their new stadium has very deep fences to compensate for the thinner air - 225' down the line and 235' dead center. There have been some plays that you won't see in other parks. It must be quite an adjustment for visiting teams.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We have a super nice complex about 45 mins away that all have 225' fences. That extra 25' sure do change the game for both sides. To be honest, I wish 225' was the norm, but it would cost mucho money for everyone to comply. Might be cheaper/easier to dumb down the bats or balls.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I say establish a minimum and maximum size and let the schools pick and choose what suits them best. One of the best things about MLB is every field is different and typically affords a true home field advantage.

Our "home field" in the sticky air of Florida is 220' all the way around and it is a game changer.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I say establish a minimum and maximum size and let the schools pick and choose what suits them best. One of the best things about MLB is every field is different and typically affords a true home field advantage.

This is very true. For HS district playoffs last year the host school had a weird field due to "room" issues. RF was 200', CF was 190', LF was 175'. Bunches and bunches of HR's to LF the first night, then the pitchers adjusted to mostly low and outside.

Mar 26, 2013
But the words "all new construction" are the key correct?
Correct, the minimums for 6' fences did not apply to existing fields or ones planned to be built before 2016. The 2017 requirement for 4' fences applies to existing school fields - schools can either enlarge the field or raise the fence.

Apr 17, 2014
Unfortunately or fortunately, the solid non-softening balls and the rebound bats along with the rule changes have continuously changed the game for each generation that has played it, for both men and women. Each group treasures their experiences from their time. I started with wooden bats and progressed to aluminum ones that sounded like the bells of St. Marys. For my 39 years of play, I was in my early 40’s when I hit my first ball out, and 53 when the last one went; had I become powerful in putting that “Beer Keg Ab" to work, yeah right.
Each generation bemoans the changes and each new one adapts to the changes. We are going through another changing period that has to be adjusted to.
Ty Stofflet pitched a 22 scoreless inning game in the Nationals, a triple-header+. Trying to schedule a tournament with long extra inning games was an absolute nightmare. Consequently, almost all of the rule and equipment changes focused on increasing offense. Men originally pitched from 40’.
The game will survive and each generation will dwell on how the game was played when they did it.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
This is very true. For HS district playoffs last year the host school had a weird field due to "room" issues. RF was 200', CF was 190', LF was 175'. Bunches and bunches of HR's to LF the first night, then the pitchers adjusted to mostly low and outside.

Let me guess - the coaches were calling the pitches?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06