Time to adjust the offense/defense balance in college ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Wouldn't moving the bases back 10 feet add 2 steps? I would expect that the plays where a speedy slapper beats out a ground ball would now be easy outs. And I imagine a stolen base would be rare. However, there would be lots of double plays. :)

Since we're getting into a hypothetical situation, doesn't this also mean that fielders will be playing further back to protect against the slap or the hit away? This might bring more small ball back to the game as well. I agree that stolen bases may go down but don't forget that your adding distance to the throws from their respective positions so a speedy player still has a chance. I think that the strategies will adapt. The game will change and the circumstances will dictate what a slapper will do. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just thinking that with the advent of today's technology in bats, it would be interesting to see how the game evolved under those circumstances.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Since we're getting into a hypothetical situation, doesn't this also mean that fielders will be playing further back to protect against the slap or the hit away? This might bring more small ball back to the game as well. I agree that stolen bases may go down but don't forget that your adding distance to the throws from their respective positions so a speedy player still has a chance. I think that the strategies will adapt. The game will change and the circumstances will dictate what a slapper will do. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just thinking that with the advent of today's technology in bats, it would be interesting to see how the game evolved under those circumstances.

Have to say I am curious. Would like to see it tried. Maybe in some friendlies with different age groups. Only time I have ever played with base distances is in practice. Will move 1st base in to 55 feet to prepare for teams with lots of speed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06