Time limit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
So Today we experienced a time limit in the championship game for the second time this year. The first time it bit us as we fell behind when you go back to the previous inning.

This time we were home team in a tied ball game. We scored two runs to go ahead when the umpire called the game on time. So, we had 2 outs.

Ok, if you don’t finish a inning because of time you have to go back the previous completed inning. Which was a tied game.

So, is my thinking right. We should have completed the inning, instead of calling the game. And then call the game.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2011
What sanction? Most sanctions are similar, if its the last inning (which by definition is when time expires), you finish the inning, or play until the home team goes a head. Or as the b part says, the score does not revert if the home team has gone ahead in the bottom of the last inning.

1653287529563.png

1653287629545.png

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2017
First, Drop dead is dumb in any situation.

BUT, if you were were the home team, and ahead, why wouldn't you be declared the winner at the end of time? Both teams had the opportunity to bat. It's basically a "walk off" win for you. I could understand it if the visiting had taken the lead in the last inning and you weren't given the chance to complete your at bat.

By the way, drop dead is always dumb.

Jul 22, 2015
For the life of me I can't understand the "revert" endings. Either drop-dead or finish the inning but I'll never understand how/why you would pretend game action didn't happen. In the OP scenario it makes no sense at all. Home team is ahead so game over. Glad we never played any tourneys like this.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
For the life of me I can't understand the "revert" endings. Either drop-dead or finish the inning but I'll never understand how/why you would pretend game action didn't happen. In the OP scenario it makes no sense at all. Home team is ahead so game over. Glad we never played any tourneys like this.

It's absurd. I am umping in a tournament this coming weekend...we just got the packet:

"All games will have a 1 hour 15 minute, no new inning time limit. 1 hour 30 minute hard stop in which the score will revert back to the previous full inning completed and runs scored in the unfinished inning do not count."

So you could have something like this happen:
After an hour, 5 innings are played, and visitors are down 2-3.
They have a big top of the 6th, and make the score 10-3, but we get to the hour 15, no new inning.
The home steam stretches things out 15 minutes in the bottom of the 6th, and the score gets to 10-6, but too bad, so sad, drop dead at 1:30, wiping out the last 30 minutes of softball and visitors lose 2-3.

So dumb.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Why is there a time limit for the championship game?

Well, I had to tell one umpire you can run on a dropped third strike with a runner on first and two outs. Even told him I have experience umpiring.

That same umpire said to pick a number between 1 and 3 for the coin toss so our coach picked 2. Whoever is closest wins the toss to the number he choose. He said no it was zero. lol!!!

I always thank the umpires. I appreciate them, but there are bad umpires.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00