Time for a video critique

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 11, 2011
Wanted to pop in and get some critique on my 13YO DD. Been at it about a year. Just got the older one off to college (full ride D1 pitching scholarship!...humble bucket dad brag! Haha). Now gotta get the youngest one whipped into shape. Currently working on fixing glove swim, staying more upright, more brush. This forum has been invaluable in helping get my daughters off to college to play at the next level and wanted to get any insight or critique you might see that I might be over looking. Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

Apr 30, 2018
Not an expert.. I see a lot of good things. The only thing I don't like is her load. She rocks her whole body behind the rubber, then as she comes to the plate she has this plant replant thing with her back foot. I feel that if she were to load into a more ... hard for me to explain, but the Amanda Scarborough slow mo video comes to mind (sprinter look) she would lose that replant and be more efficient.

May 29, 2015
Clearly crow-hopping, anybody can see it! Why don’t umps call this?! Oh wait ... let me watch the video first. ;)

Not a pitching coach, but in slow mo it seems like a lot of extraneous movement. Might just be that odd thing flogzilla was pointing out. I do like the toe drag! 😁

I don’t see a replant. My dd pitches faster with a glove swim, but I told her if she ever gets that shot back to the face she will never react fast enough with the glove on her thigh. So we made a glove change mostly for defensive positioning. By keeping the glove shoulder pointed towards the catcher just a bit longer and abducting front elbow and tucking glove back to belly button area it helped dd get more bend and whip with pitching arm. It also was a major help with control “hitting spot” so we sacrificed about 4 mph for control and defensive position. She has been doing strength training and has regained the speed took a year but still progressing. I’m just a bucket dad don’t know if this is scientifically correct but worked for my dd.

Oct 4, 2018
Clearly crow-hopping, anybody can see it! Why don’t umps call this?! Oh wait ... let me watch the video first. ;)

Not a pitching coach, but in slow mo it seems like a lot of extraneous movement. Might just be that odd thing flogzilla was pointing out. I do like the toe drag! 😁

The pitch looks pretty solid, but I too saw a ton of movement before the pitch even started. I like the ball pointing up at the 9 o'clock position a bit more.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2011
Great comments guys. Thanks so much. Lots of the same stuff I noticed as well. Trying to get that speed up like all 14U pitchers. LOL.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Love the attack angle that Ricketts demonstrates here. Her nose is ahead of her knee and her knee is ahead of the toe.
A02EBCE1-BB9E-4DE9-B2EA-9CCF81071266.jpeg45ED6E35-27C9-4657-B2A0-6DF72157C02B.jpeg

Sep 29, 2014
Overall there is a lot to like if anything the trench she is digging with the toe drag could be a little less.

The view from behind shows her NOT heel up and laces to the catcher, is this something she is still working on? First video she look great .

Her load sequence is a little off...she has hands going back but body is still then goes forward (but not with the intention of leaning and loading she does a little just not enough), if she is going to have the backwards swinging arms that's the point she should be loading rearward then has arms go forward legs explode forward as well at same....Iet me know if you don't see it and I can break it down more.

Also do you have full speed copy?

I might take another look and just see if it's difference in how far back she goes that impacts this and her arm circle but these stills are at the frame just before the arm begins to come forward. Cat has her heel on the ground, Kennedy's heel is completely up which means she is well into her push off with the back foot so her legs are going but her arms is playing a little catch up not sure its a big deal but just seemed a little off to me...also why I wanted full speed version to see what it looks like not in slo mo. Some of this might have to do with some of the other poster looking at her straight and tall torso versus more lean at load like a sprinters pose. The "tall" part comes as you launch out before that you are going to want a little lean forward but the heel will stay on the ground until until the arm goes.

@Ken B if you have video of Ricketts from still above maybe you can find that spot I'm talking about where her arm stop going back and the frame just before coming forward. I've seen a video and know she does it this way its just from behind.

Cat first H.JPGKennedy first H.JPG

Oh yeah and don't forget the she is doing TONS right here...again we are tinkering on the margins of what is a very great foundation....while the swim can be a concern its not a huge factor unless it's impacting her consistency on location, it could be clean up a little because it is pretty extreme and like we mention we are down to making those minor adjustments to get from good to great. How is she doing performance wise right now compared to piers? my guess would be very well.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah