throwing the bat drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
iMlearning,
The object or purpose of throwing the bat is to get the feeling of throwing the barrel at the ball.The pitcher is throwing the ball at the batter so the batter should get the feeling of throwing the bat back at the pitcher.Chris Yeager has a good free video on throwing the bat.He also explains why and how.Your DD would do her normal hitting sequence ,but she should finish with the bat going towards right field(RHT batter) or second base.The drill isn't about how far you can throw the bat,but she wants to throw the bat as hard as she would normally swing.You are looking for the bat to spin like a helicopter blade.You don't want it spinning end over end.Make sure you explain to your DD why she is doing this drill.Throw the bat easy at first untill she gets the feel of the knob going through her hand.

167jcle.gif

The pitcher is throwing the ball towards the plate, and you are throwing the barrel towards the ball.

Oct 10, 2011
We finally worked on this drill tonight and it is actually pretty fun. I threw to short stop my only try but after her first attempt that went to 2nd basemans position she got them towards the pitcher consistently. I had showed her the video and explained it also.
We started with throwing,
hit off the tee trying to mimic what we did with throwing etc...
Did the face the fire drill (her favorite)
Casey drill...she does well with this drill...I thought she might struggle with it because she used to drop her hands and I gave her a bat an ounce heavier tonight to use
Throwing the bat
Soft toss to try to pull it all together.
She was upset I forgot the net So I wouldn't do front toss/pitch. I like living:)
All in all a great night of hitting with some nice recommendations from you all. Thanks!

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
The Casey drill I think is also called the Reverse hand drill.Take the top hand and turn it so you can see the back of the hand with the thumb pointed down and grip the bat. Do not grip the bat tightly and use it as more of a guide hand. My DD likes to not grip the bat with the top hand,but just cup the bat with the top hand.All your fingers and thumb will be on the same side of handle.Load and step and separate and allow the lead arm elbow to make a good first move and at point of contact (POC) allow the lead hand to pull it out of the top hand and finish over the shoulder and your head should still be looking at the tee.Good to teach extension.
The face the fire drill is also called the walk up drill.How to set up the tee for this drill.Place the tee have your DD start from behind the tee on the side she would bat from.For a right hand batter.Have your DD take a step towards the tee,but the rht foot will go behind her her left foot as she steps.Then she will stride with the left foot like she would if she was batting.The tee should be where that frt foot lands.She the will hit the ball off of the tee.The drill is to get the feeling of momentum and forward by coil as you hit of the tee.Great drill that most players love.

Oct 10, 2011
PM'd you inde. Sorry for the slow response but the computer at the house is having issues. If your DD is like mine... you will probably see her farthest hits ever off the tee when doing the Face the Fire Drill. I was tempted to have her do it in a game:) If you can transfer that over to her actual hitting, you will be amazed in the difference. For my DD however, it has taken a LONG time but I'm really starting to see it happening.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi