Throwing off the facemask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

hen

Dec 1, 2010
I do see more of the sky when I take off my mask for pop ups, but you have to make sure that when you take it off, you hold onto the mask until you find the ball. Then toss it away. Otherwise you run the risk of tossing it and tripping over it when trying to move to the ball.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
I remembered this thread from a while back ago. I have a dd that catches. She is doing good, she just needs to be faster on her feet. However I had a parent of mine come to me and tell me my dd would do better if she would throw the mask off. She still harasses me to train my dd to take the mask off. Why wont she just go away!!!

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
W- next time she brings up the throwing the mask thing, just agree with her that that's the way it used to be taught, but at the highest levels they don't teach it that way anymore.

whenever possible I use college ball as an example. I'm sure I've seen college catchers remove a mask on a play, but it's rare. usually that F2 chasing the foul pop-up has her mask on.

I know that they will remove their mask to talk....

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I hate to say this, but I disagree with the majority of the group here. I take my mask off for just about everything. I have a hockey style mask. I was taught, and even college coaches and players that I work with told me, to take the mask off for pop ups and if possible for bunts too (but that has to be quick and no time can be wasted for that!!). I took it off if there's a chance of a play at home too. I know teeth can get knocked out, but hey, it's a chance you take. I like it better without the mask. I have great view of everything without feeling like a bobblehead. Girls try to run into you, but you learn to try to prevent some of that and still get the out.

Look up images of MLB catcher collisions and you will usually see that they still have the mask on. If those guys are taught to wear it for a play at home, I would think its the correct play at all skill levels

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
I remembered this thread from a while back ago. I have a dd that catches. She is doing good, she just needs to be faster on her feet. However I had a parent of mine come to me and tell me my dd would do better if she would throw the mask off. She still harasses me to train my dd to take the mask off. Why wont she just go away!!!

Ask her if she would like to help out with the medical bills when your DD takes a batting helmet to the head in a collision.

I argued parents with this left and right. My DD's catching coach told her to leave it on. He personally likes her face the way it is and all of her teeth.

I think kids start hearing others tell them to take it off and then they get confused.

Jul 26, 2010
The hockey style helmets the kids use today are much different then the old-school mask over a backwards hard-hat that whatever relic is complaining about is familiar with. The helmets are made to stay in place when the player moves their head. Hell, they're not even that easy to take off quickly.

The only play that a catchers should remove the mask for is a pop-up at home plate, and as mentioned earlier, there is a specific technique for that.

-W

Mar 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
throwing off the mask

With the hockey style mask that fits better and tighter that the old style catchers mask I think leaving it on is better. With the old style masks and skull cap, when you would look up or make a play, many times the mask would ride up on yor face and block your vision. The hockey mask provides excellent visability and protection and with it on, there is less to trip over.

Nov 1, 2009
Always keep your safety equipment on your body. All that gear the catchers wear is protection from pitches yes, but more importantly it is protection from impact from another player. Rule 1 in womens softball is protect the beauty.

Mar 13, 2010
but more importantly it is protection from impact from another player.

I've seen the catcher protected when this happened. Unforuntly the first base was knocked cold with a concussion...

May 8, 2009
Florida
I teach the catchers that it is fine to leave their masks on for plays. Vision is good and the added protection on plays ssems to make them more comfortable. Pop ups can go both ways. They will remove if they feel they have time. We do practice located and tossing in the opposite direction. If they leave it on it is fine too. Coach Dave - thanks for the suggestion of testing visibility. In practice they always pull the mask off, but never really practice the other way. That will really help them decide which way they like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1