throwing down the middle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 27, 2009
Ohio
Is there ever a situation where you would call a fastball down the middle? My DD's current coach is wanting her to throw this pitch and I am extremely concerned.

May 12, 2008
Well the coach is off to the side and he can't see in and out so unless she is pitching to a kid who couldn't hit it if it was on a tee, I wouldn't throw it down the middle. I'd smile sweetly and then throw it inside black or no more toward the middle from there than I had to to make the ump happy.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
19 and playing college ball. If she pitched 70 mph, I might understand...but she pitches upper 50's and low 60's.

Ummmmm, NO. Even if she was throwing 70 (a 70mph fastball goes over the fence real easy).

Like Mark H says, "smile sweetly" Nod and do NOT throw down the middle.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
Isn't it generally taught to the younger girls to throw your best pitch (down the middle?) for your first pitch and with a full count? I would think at the older ages though a down-the-middle fastball is just an invitation to get a big hit.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
buckeye: while i understand the problem, you as a father need to butt out. if your dd has a problem, she needs to talk to the coach about it.

at the collegiate level. your DD must do what the coach tells her to do. If she doesn't want to, she should quit.

May 12, 2008
I agree the father should do no more than offer advice to his DD. That role goes away when he's looking up at the grass but beyond that, the college player has to handle college sports on her own short of a criminal offense. Having said that, if I'm the pitcher, I'm not throwing down the middle unless I want to wear that ball on my head.

Aug 27, 2009
Ohio
I am letting her handle it, I told her whatever choice she makes it is her decision and I will back her 100%. She has had years of pitching lessons and KNOWS not to throw down the of middle. I was just wondering if I was missing something on strategy. BTW she has talked with coach, with no results.

May 13, 2008
The only time I will call for a pitch down the middle of the plate is when I'm pretty sure the pitcher won't (read: can't) throw it there.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I'll call pitches down the middle.... when a batter comes up that has terror in her eyes, and when she sets up she holds the bat straight up and down in the center of her body, with both elbows flared out.... yeah, you know the ones...