Throwdowns

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 9, 2011
Can someone share footwork techniques and or drills to help a discouraged 12u? She has worked all winter and really hasnt gotten any farther on her throws..they still one hop. Thanks

May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
A short throw may just be caused by arm strength that is slow to develop. It also certainly can be due to problems in mechanics as well. Do you have any video of her throwing mechanics? The clip below shows a drill we use to practice footwork and exchange mechanics.

This Drill is designed to help catchers get into the proper position prior to the throw. Note the first thing that moves is the glove turns, and the ball is lifted out, not pulled out. Also observe that the right foot comes straight across towards the left foot but stops at the mid-line with the instep pointing at the target base. The left foot them lands directly in front causing the front side to be closed prior to the throw

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/F8tK2PPQWGA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2009
Can someone share footwork techniques and or drills to help a discouraged 12u? She has worked all winter and really hasnt gotten any farther on her throws..they still one hop. Thanks
One hop is not bad and probably gets there a tad quicker than a big rainbow throw. As long as it is a one hop that hits the ground 7 to 10 feet from bag it is good, any decent shortstop should be able to handle this. The problem comes when it hits the ground 2 or 3 feet from bag and ss does not have time to react after realizing it is going to hit the ground. So if her arm is not strong enough to get it there without a big rainbow then have her gun it at the ground 10 ft from bag. Good luck.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Agree completely, Daddy O. I love to do this demonstration: Have your fastest player start running from first to second. When she's about a third of the way there, roll the ball hard to second. If you do it right the ball will beat the runner.

A perfect throw would be better. But until you can get there, make sure the catcher knows all is not lost.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
I agree a one-hopper is fine as long as it doesn't hop too close. Have her practice throwing perfect one hoppers in addition to working on getting it there in the air.

Feb 8, 2009
I tell the kids the difference between a one hopper and getting it there in the air is the push with the chest as they throw. It works for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi