Throw Hits Runner

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
USA 8-2-J, NCAA 11.17.2, NFHS 5-1-l, USSSA 8-17-C ... all include a "line drive or bunt" in the intentional drop rule.

Interestingly, the current version of OBR also includes a line drive as well ... I'm guessing it did not back in 1977. Even though umpires can get it wrong, I would find it hard to believe World Series umpires would kick one that hard. Then again ... ;)

May 29, 2015
Running lane violations ...

Rule sets who put the violation at the base (interference with the fielder receiving the throw)

NCAA
12.5.5 When either of her feet is completely outside the runner's lane, in contact with the ground, and, in the judgment of the umpire, she interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base. EXCEPTIONS: She may run outside the runner's lane: (1) if she has not yet reached the start of the runner's lane; (2) to avoid a fielder attempting to field a batted ball; or (3) if she leaves the lane on her last stride in order to touch first base.
NFHS 8-2-6 She runs outside the three-foot (0.91m) lane and, in the judgment of the umpire, interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base (there must be a throw); however the batter-runner may run outside the three-foot (0.91m) lane to avoid a fielder attempting to field a batted ball. A runner is considered outside the lane if either foot is completely outside the lane and in contact with the ground.
USA Softball 8-2-E When the batter runner runs outside the three-foot lane and, in the umpire's judgment, interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base; however the batter-runner may run outside the three-foot lane to avoid a fielder attempting to field a batted ball. When the defensive player uses the foul portion of the double base, the batter-runner can run in fair territory when the throw is coming from the foul side of first base, and if hit by the thrown ball, it is not interference. If intentional interference is ruled, the runner is out.

Rule sets who put the violation on the THROW or the initial play
USSSA
8-17-E (The batter runner is out when) When they run outside the three-foot running lane (last half of the distance from home plate to first base) while the ball is being fielded or thrown to first base. EXCEPTION: This infraction is ignored if it is to avoid a fielder who is attempting to field the batted ball or if the act does not interfere with a fielder or a throw.

Oct 11, 2018
In USA Softball the intentionally dropped fly ball rule includes a line drive or a bunt as well
Hi UmpWally. Thanks.

It is clear in USA rule 8.2.K that it covers any ball in the air. Strangely 8.6.H only mentions fly ball.
Thanks for clearing it up.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
Hi UmpWally. I just cant find an extension to line drives and bunts. USA 8.6.H says Fly Ball and definitions defines a fly ball. RS 30 doesn't mention fly or line drive. what can we reference to extend the rule to line drives and bunts? I didn't look for a case play; do you know if there is one? Thanks

*cough*cough* 😷

;)

USA 8-2-J, NCAA 11.17.2, NFHS 5-1-l, USSSA 8-17-C ... all include a "line drive or bunt" in the intentional drop rule.

Interestingly, the current version of OBR also includes a line drive as well ... I'm guessing it did not back in 1977. Even though umpires can get it wrong, I would find it hard to believe World Series umpires would kick one that hard. Then again ... ;)

Oct 11, 2018
Hi UmpWally. I just cant find an extension to line drives and bunts. USA 8.6.H says Fly Ball and definitions defines a fly ball. RS 30 doesn't mention fly or line drive. what can we reference to extend the rule to line drives and bunts? I didn't look for a case play; do you know if there is one? Thanks
April 2010 USA/ASA case:
Play:B1 hits a soft line drive to the left of F6 which enters the pocket of his glove and then allows the ball to fall to the ground before securing it to create a double play possibility.

Ruling:If in the judgment of the umpire, the ball entered the pocket of the fielder’s glove and the fielder caught the ball and then intentionally let it drop from the glove, the ball is dead, the batter is out and runners return to the last base touched at the time of the pitch

Line drive would be included. Also covered in 8.2.K (interesting that wording is different in 8.6.H in same rule book)

Jan 7, 2012
Yes, excellent point and a great find. Thank you Jackfrost. A ’soft’ line drive is nothing more than a low fly ball. That being said, no matter if it’s it’s a soft line drive, a hard one, a bunt or a fly ball , the intentionally dropped fly ball rule is in effect concerning USA softball . Rule 8-6H isn’t different wording , it’s just that Rule 8-2 K is more specific. Rule supplement #30 only helps you understand what an intentionally dropped ball is, not when to enforce it. I hope this helps with understanding the rule . cough cough..lol. Stay safe my friends

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
but in the end as usual (cough cough) the umps always have the out on a play like this...it is 100% a judgement call and no matter what we all might think our judgement in hindsight means nothing...the umpires judgement in the moment is what counts ;)

Mar 20, 2019
Didn't this whole discussion get rehashed in last year's World Series (running inside of the runners lane)?

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06