Throw Hits Runner

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I'm watching a replay of the CWS and saw a play that I missed the first time I watched. Runner on second base, batter hits a ball past the pitcher on the SS side of the mound. Runner heads back to 2nd base. SS circles left, picks up the grounder and her throw to 1st misses the runner's helmet by inches. If the throw did hit the runner what would the call be? At first I thought no call ball is live and in play, but now I'm thinking it's interference by the runner and she's out, dead ball.

May 29, 2015
HTBT and know your codes ... ;)

NCAA 12.17.2.2 The base runner may not interfere with a fielder attempting to throw the ball.

But it sounds as if the ball was already in flight, so ...

NCAA 12.17.2.3 The base runner may not intentionally interfere with a thrown ball. Note: A runner hit with a thrown ball does not necessarily constitute interference.

From your description, I think I'd still have a live ball even if it hit the runner's helmet. In this case (not all cases!), intent matters. Do you think the runner did it intentionally?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
No, she wasn't looking at the fielder and probably didn't realize how close she came to being beaned, unless she heard the ball hiss as it went by.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Ok, similar question: Also watching CWS replays and I see rh batters either strike out or draw a walk. They cross over the plate area (out of their batter's box) to get to first or to the visitor's dugout about the same time the catcher is snapping the ball back to pitcher or back picking a runner. If one of the batters gets pegged out of the box is it the same situation where the umpire has to determine if there was intent?

Oct 11, 2018
Ok, similar question: Also watching CWS replays and I see rh batters either strike out or draw a walk. They cross over the plate area (out of their batter's box) to get to first or to the visitor's dugout about the same time the catcher is snapping the ball back to pitcher or back picking a runner. If one of the batters gets pegged out of the box is it the same situation where the umpire has to determine if there was intent?

Complicated question.
1. if batter draws a walk, she is a legal batter/runner advancing to 1B. Unless she intentionally interferes, she is just like any other runner, entitled to legally run the bases and if the ball hits her, live ball.
2. if she struck out (and no dropped third), if she hinders the catcher in anyway, this is an out by a player already put out so the runner closest to home will be called out for this interference.
3. In USA softball, if there was no play being made by the catcher on a runner and the throw back to the pitcher hits the batter, kill it and nobody gets to advance. There's actually a rule that states that in USA softball. Other codes and baseball may play it differently. Years back i think there was similar situation, possibly in a World series game with the Cubs that was live ball and runners advance. But in USA softball, dead ball and no advance by runners. I don't know what college or HS does in this situation.

May 29, 2015
A case of thinking you are smarter than the game ... He didn't need to do that, the ball was already headed right at him.

OBR (Official Rules of Baseball) requires intent (I think -- I will double-check that in a moment), which there was. I didn't think so from the first few angles, so I can definitely see how the umpires missed it though. It was slight and there was no replay back then.

I just want to dress like that though!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan