Throw Hits Runner

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Lefties running forward
and dropping a bunt down...
Then proceeding to run up the line
on the infiled....
Have been hit by a thrown ball
And have been called out,
quite a few times....
:)

Oct 11, 2018
Lefties running forward
on the infiled....
quite a few times....
Sometimes it is the correct call!

If any Batter-Runner is running ot 1st and is past the point where the running lane begins, they will be called out if hit with a thrown ball if they are not properly within the running lane. Within the running lane definition varies by Code. USA says if the ball is over fair territory and hits the runner, the runner is out. In NFHS, it goes by the position of the BR feet, not the position of the ball. If the runner is hit with the ball before reaching the running lane, the runner is not out unless there was something intentional.

Sep 29, 2014
A case of thinking you are smarter than the game ... He didn't need to do that, the ball was already headed right at him.

OBR (Official Rules of Baseball) requires intent (I think -- I will double-check that in a moment), which there was. I didn't think so from the first few angles, so I can definitely see how the umpires missed it though. It was slight and there was no replay back then.

I just want to dress like that though!
but isn't the REAL correct call that the SS dropped the ball on purpose? and if so what would be the correct ruling? Batter/runner OUT, then dead ball runners stay at first and second?

Oct 11, 2018
but isn't the REAL correct call that the SS dropped the ball on purpose? and if so what would be the correct ruling? Batter/runner OUT, then dead ball runners stay at first and second?
Yes, that could have [should have!] been the call. It did look like SS had control and dropped it. Should have been a dead ball right there. Runners stay put and BR out on the "catch".

I double checked this based on The Man in Blue's comment. In USA softball, the intentionally dropped ball rule applies only to all batted balls in the air Rule 8.2.K. (USA rule 8.6.H only mentions fly ball but 8.2.K takes care of all batted balls in the air) Also, in NFHS (2015 rule book), the intentionally dropped rule applies to a fair fly ball, including a line drive or a bunt. Knowing the different codes can get tricky.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
Lefties running forward
on the infiled....
quite a few times....

Batter/runners are governed by a different rule than all other runners. The are not required to be in the running lane, but if they are not in the running lane after 30' then they are subject to being called out for interference if they are hit by a throw.

May 29, 2015
Yes, that could have [should have!] been the call. It did look like SS had control and dropped it. Should have been a dead ball right there. Runners stay put and BR out on the "catch".

I actually considered saying that ... it was a line drive, so not covered under that rule. Again, I will double check OBR to make sure, but I believe it has to be a fly ball. Yes, lame.

May 29, 2015
Batter/runners are governed by a different rule than all other runners. The are not required to be in the running lane, but if they are not in the running lane after 30' then they are subject to being called out for interference if they are hit by a throw.

Make sure you now your rule set. Being hit with a throw is not always grounds for a running lane violation. Some rule sets require the interference to be with the fielder taking the throw, I’ll have to run through the different sets tomorrow ...

Oct 11, 2018
I actually considered saying that ... it was a line drive, so not covered under that rule. Again, I will double check OBR to make sure, but I believe it has to be a fly ball. Yes, lame.

You got me into the books so this is good. Turns out in NFHS the intentional drop includes line drive and bunt. USA says fly ball in 8.6.H, but in 8.2.k, all types of balls in the air are covered. Thanks

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
Make sure you now your rule set. Being hit with a throw is not always grounds for a running lane violation. Some rule sets require the interference to be with the fielder taking the throw, I’ll have to run through the different sets tomorrow ...

I didnt want to go into every intricacy of the rule, I was merely making a statement about why they had seen a batter/runner called out for being hit with a throw when it is not the case with other runners.

As far as I know, every ruleset states it is interference with the fielder receiving the throw. There must also be a throw and it must be a quality throw. The catcher cant just throw at the runner and if the throw the ball in the dirt or airmail it into right field its just a throwing mistake by the catcher.

Jan 7, 2012

I double checked this based on The Man in Blue's comment and i am partially wrong. At least in USA softball, the intentionally dropped ball rule applies only to a fly ball. A line drive would not qualify for this rule. However, in NFHS (2015 rule book), the intentionally dropped rule applies to a fair fly ball, including a line drive or a bunt. Knowing the different codes can get tricky.
In USA Softball the intentionally dropped fly ball rule includes a line drive or a bunt as well

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06