Throw down to second

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Just to pile on...

If the runner is going, the catcher is throwing...unless there is a reason not to, like a runner at 3B.
A hard low throw that bounces to 2B is absolutely acceptable - and preferred - if they don't have the arm strength to throw a low rocket all the way to the bag. A low bouncer is faster than a big rainbow.
Get the ball on the way to 2B as quickly as possible. Expect that the fielders will be there by the time the ball gets there. If they aren't, the issue is with the fielders, not the catcher. SS, 2B, and CF all have an obligation on a throw to 2B.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Here's my team's thing on throwing out runners. When a runner is coming to second to try to steal second, I like to throw to an area that is from the bag to a foot off of the bag on the first baseman's side of the bag and roughly a foot off of the ground. This allows my fielder (either my short stop or second baseman) to catch the ball and tag the runner in one motion. I would love for my fielder to get to everything and get 9/10 runners. But I'd be expecting too much. I'm happy with 1/3.5 to 1/5 runners that try to run. And if my fielder doesn't make it in time...I know I have a center fielder that has a cannon for an arm that can make most throws to third or to the plate.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
When DD was young and learning to throw down, we placed a 5 gallon bucket on the first base side of second. That was her target. She still invisions the bucket to this day when throwing down. We did the same for third and pick offs at first. To help keep the ball low, she had to make the pitcher (me) duck. A flat one hopper gets to the target much faster than a rainbow throw.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have always had a little trouble with this.

Lot of things are going on in frount of the C and they are throwing to a base hidden behind the P. P's head can be a good tarket.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Yep. I tell the catchers I train to throw through the pitchers head. If the pitcher's in the way and takes one to the mask, that's their fault.:p The younger ones I tell them just over their pitchers head...lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd