Thoughts please not judgements

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 17, 2015
Hypthetical.....No a good fielding HS team. They can hit. Also not used to rules and consequences like you miss a game and you dont play next game and you miss a practicr and you dont play. Coach has been somewhat lenient as they get used to new rules and consequences. Here is what happened:
Game was way way long...I think it was bottom 5 when said player ran home when she didnt need to and was thrown out for final out. When i walked back to bench i mentioned to her that she didnt need to go since it wasnt a force and she responded with I have to go to work so i said then go to work dont purposely get out because you need to leave early.
Top 6 she was catching they scored a few runs had bases loaded i went out to pitching mound so another Pitcher could get warmed up quick, next batter got on with a hit and after runner scored then she he walked off the field and said i got to go to work then screamed at her sister that they need to go, and said she is leaving for work, we just call it.
So my question in this hypothetical is this: Suspended for last 3 games or just one game??
Realize this isnt me but someone who asked me for advice
I coach High School Softball I'm in agreement with most, she is gone! I had a similar incident even after having handing out the schedule and team rules months earlier! If they don't have the time or commitment to play don't play.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
Hypthetical.....No a good fielding HS team. They can hit. Also not used to rules and consequences like you miss a game and you dont play next game and you miss a practicr and you dont play. Coach has been somewhat lenient as they get used to new rules and consequences. Here is what happened:
Game was way way long...I think it was bottom 5 when said player ran home when she didnt need to and was thrown out for final out. When i walked back to bench i mentioned to her that she didnt need to go since it wasnt a force and she responded with I have to go to work so i said then go to work dont purposely get out because you need to leave early.
Top 6 she was catching they scored a few runs had bases loaded i went out to pitching mound so another Pitcher could get warmed up quick, next batter got on with a hit and after runner scored then she he walked off the field and said i got to go to work then screamed at her sister that they need to go, and said she is leaving for work, we just call it.
So my question in this hypothetical is this: Suspended for last 3 games or just one game??
Realize this isnt me but someone who asked me for advice
Why in the world wouldn't you take her out of the game and send her on her way as soon as she told you that she intentionally made an out so the game would end sooner so she could go to work? That's a failure of the coach to act at the right time. Don't give the player a second chance to sabotage the game. To quote the late, great Strother Martin, "What we got here is a failure to communicate." If the problem was that the game went way longer than usual and caused a unique situation, then just let it go with a team discussion about communication, commitment, and successfully juggling more than one of them. We are still talking about kids here. They do dumb stuff when left to make decisions on their own. Don't let it happen twice.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
I coach High School Softball I'm in agreement with most, she is gone! I had a similar incident even after having handing out the schedule and team rules months earlier! If they don't have the time or commitment to play don't play.
Do you bother to learn their names, or are they just numbers?

Aug 16, 2017
According to the story, Coach did tell her that if you need to leave early to go to work then to leave (and not get out). I’m guessing the player thought she had permission to do so from that statement alone.

Reactions: PDM

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
its just strange because coach could have simply pulled player earlier or in the moment. Non-issue.

Now its an issue because of bad planning.

Abscence of authority sorting through their mistake.

Reactions: PDM
Feb 20, 2019
Just read through the entire thread...then re-read after typing my response. I realized my response was almost identical to CoachYodaD!! :)

But, I do have one additional question/comment that hasn't been mentioned.

Why was the game called after she walked off? That just sent the message to the player and both teams that she's the most important person on the field.

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
Why in the world wouldn't you take her out of the game and send her on her way as soon as she told you that she intentionally made an out so the game would end sooner so she could go to work? That's a failure of the coach to act at the right time. Don't give the player a second chance to sabotage the game. To quote the late, great Strother Martin, "What we got here is a failure to communicate." If the problem was that the game went way longer than usual and caused a unique situation, then just let it go with a team discussion about communication, commitment, and successfully juggling more than one of them. We are still talking about kids here. They do dumb stuff when left to make decisions on their own. Don't let it happen twice.
Grom what I understand, coach didnt know about her comment until afterwards because the player told the assistant coach why she ran home.

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
Just read through the entire thread...then re-read after typing my response. I realized my response was almost identical to CoachYodaD!! :)

But, I do have one additional question/comment that hasn't been mentioned.

Why was the game called after she walked off? That just sent the message to the player and both teams that she's the most important person on the field.
That i dont know. Maybe other factors...maybe no one to replace her due to players already being subbed in or injured? Thats my only guess

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi