Thoughts please not judgements

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
even if not survival, maybe this is how the kid makes money for gas to get herself to games and practices? if she plays TB, maybe it is how she pays for that. maybe it is pocket money that most of the other girls in the school have, and it helps her feel like she fits in. maybe it is a great opportunity in something she is interested in doing for the rest of her life (SB is only a short time).

remember, the entire idea of scholastic sports is to help instill qualities in the athletes that will help them throughout their life. and yes, commitment is important, and she absolutely should pay a price if the work schedule was not communicated (as a life lesson). but any school athletic program that loses sight of this purposes, and instead is focused solely on winning, honestly should just shut down, schools can find MUCH better purposes for the money.

without knowing a whole helluva lot more, not a "your *ing my program" moment. walk 100 miles in her shoes before you judge

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
It makes no difference why she has a job.

The coach already knew she had a job, and he allowed her to be on the team prior to this game.. He put her in the inning knowing she would not make it to work on time. What a jerk. (If he didn't know what her schedule was, then he's an idiot and a jerk)

May 6, 2015
It makes no difference why she has a job.

The coach already knew she had a job, and he allowed her to be on the team prior to this game.. He put her in the inning knowing she would not make it to work on time. What a jerk. (If he didn't know what her schedule was, then he's an idiot and a jerk)

actually, again, need more info before passing judgement on her or him. maybe she did not communicate work commitment/schedule well, then that is on her. to me it is not reason to kick her off team, but a game or two sitting IN ORDER TO TEACH A LIFE LESSON (this is the emphasis) might be in order.

lot of ifs in this situation.

Jun 8, 2016
What kind of kid was she up to that point? Does she work hard in practice? A good teammate?

If she needs to go to work so bad that she left in the middle of the game then suspending her is probably pretty much a guarantee that she quits..which is fine but the coach shouldn't be surprised when it happens. This is a teenage girl..it had to be pretty important for her to make a scene like that in front of all her peers...

Of course I am a bleeding heart liberal living in an ivory tower anyway so wtf do I know.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Anyone can have an important reason to go...
Now the task of deciding if commitment is of any value.

Yep life has decisions & choices.

Aug 20, 2017
Definition of a Teammate: Someone that gives up their individual needs, wants, and desires to the benefit of those around them.

If the player notified the coach ahead of time that she needed to leave at a specific time for work then its a one game suspension minimum. If the player did not notify the coach ahead of time then its a major penalty (possibly removal from team). IMO you are asking for issues if you allow this kind of thing to occur without any penalty. Work being important to the kid shouldn't matter! I am sure every player on the team has something "important" to them that they are SACRIFICING to play ball. This player could have worked everything out ahead of time with work or with the coach. It's called being responsible. Hopefully high school coaches are still in the business of teaching kids to be responsible.

Jun 8, 2016
I am sure every player on the team has something "important" to them that they are SACRIFICING to play ball.
Right..I am sure some of them have to put off equestrian lessons till after school ball is done or going shopping for their new BMW.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I have no values..wouldn't know. That said, I do know how to quote. Not quoting someone who you are obviously responding to is about as passive aggressive as it gets..and I hate passive aggressive. Also if you have something to say about it don't DM me..
Bizarre Mr. P Bizarre
Btw just for anyone else reading.
My responses have nothing to do with quoting anyone.
Simple responses.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi