thoughts on upgrading bad orginization

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
1) I do not know what the heck training a player for HS means? 2) DD likes to P and will not be allowed to because the HS needs a LF so she needs to play LF to train for it?

1. Agreed. Training should focus on developing the players to be the best SB player they can be. No sense setting needlessly low goals for kids who may/may not have the talent to play at higher levels.

2. Why not? Actually, knowing in advance that the LF spot is open and P is not is a very good thing because it affords her the opportunity to make a decision based on what she wants more and possibly assume a little control of her destiny. I LIKE new cars, but I have decided to continue driving a 10-yr old one with 222,000 miles on it because DD needs a new bat, other DD needs voice lessons, DS needs something or other, and DW needs what's left. I have made this cognizant choice based on my priorities. If your DD wants to play HS ball this year, she learns to play LF (and keep working on the pitching so that next year they can't afford to have her not pitch). IMO, it would be far worse if she only found out after the fact that LF was her only option to play HS this year and she didn't have the opportunity to do something about it.

Nov 29, 2009
I do not know what the heck training a player for HS means? DD likes to P and will not be allowed to because the HS needs a LF so she needs to play LF to train for it?

This is going to sound demeaning but it's not intended to be. If you don't understand what training for that level is you need to watch some top level HS teams play next spring. You're close enough to watch some good HS teams. Find out when the SWSC Conference teams play each other. Some of the teams in the conference are Sandburg, Lincoln Way East, Lockport, Lincoln Way Central and Andrew. These are always some of the best HS teams in the area year after year and it's usually a real good game when they play each other. Sorry... the conference your local HS plays in is fair on a real good day.

I'm wondering how you know what your local HS team will need for players in 4-5 years? I believe you mentioned your DD is 10 or maybe turning 11. There are soooo many things that can happen between now and then. If she REALLY wants to pitch then make sure works her tail off and beats out any other kids who show up for HS tryouts.

When my DD was in HS they would have 120 kids show up the first day of tryouts between the Varsity, Soph and Freshman teams. 50% of them were cut on the first day. The remainder were cut the next day with the exception of a few kids who were on the fence. The competition for roster spots was fierce. I know every kid on her HS team played for a travel team during the summer.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
If someone mistook my comment..I do not train aplayer for HS...I train my team like I do the HS..same drills...just maybe some more fundamentals..again it depends what the player needs

Nov 29, 2009
If someone mistook my comment..I do not train aplayer for HS...I train my team like I do the HS..same drills...just maybe some more fundamentals..again it depends what the player needs

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I treat and teach my young teams like an 18U team. They may not always win when they are young but the majority of the players from the first few teams I've had are now starting on their HS varsity teams as well as being in the middle of the recruiting process. They've always done well because they didn't have to re-learn things as they got older. They had a solid fundamental foundation from the start.

It makes it easier to work with the young ones when you know where they are headed to instead of stumbling blindly along with them which may be part of the OP's problem. The HS coach knows what he needs out of the players and what it'll take to get them there. The OP'r by his own admission is new to the whole thing.

Nov 29, 2009
Leave DD alone and the other nonsensical posts, get back to the OP.

Not picking on your DD at all. Just offering the view from the finish line. If your DD decides to pursue softball as her #1 sport and she wants to pitch I can tell you I've been down that path to it's conclusion all the way to the end of college. Never let anyone convince your DD there's something she can't do.

Sluggers and a couple of other people have also run the same race to it's conclusion. It would be in your DD's best interest to listen to those who've been through it all. You only have one chance to get it right. There are no do overs.

May 2, 2011
A little hard to follow but generally speaking, yes, a board made up of parents, key community member or 2 and, ideally, alumni would help.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp