Thoughts on team discipline for the actions of a few?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Unfortunately, the OP isn't the coach and can't personally carry out these suggestions. If he can't influence the coach to do something, then he really has two choices. Stick it out or look for a better situation. I don't like team jumping as a solution and we've never done it, but this sounds like a rotten situation. If the practices suck now, imagine what spending all weekend all summer at tourneys will be like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 23, 2014
I think the coaches are failing the team as a whole, and if my kid were on that team, I'd run away. Fast. Even if it meant not playing TB in the Spring.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I think this pretty much sums up my thoughts. We will not leave the team yet. DD made a decision to continue with this team and she will see it thru this season.

Then stop complaining.

I've seen this situation too many times to count. The HC has no control. Somehow, a 12U girl has taken over the team. (She is acting out, and your solution is to make her a captain...in effect, rewarding her behavior.) And the parents, including you, don't want to do anything which might upset the apple cart.

You and the coaches are hoping that winning a bunch of games will make the situation bearable. It won't.

This is one of these lessons you have to learn on your own.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
Is this a new team? Is it a team that has been reshuffled? Difficult to believe by hearing your description that it's an established team that has moved up through the ranks. If my kid was on this team, I wouldn't put up with it as a paying customer..... which is what you are. You paid for your daughter to have a positive experience, and be coached at a level beyond local rec ball. I would talk to the HC and be frank with him that you're not very happy with the way the team is disciplined as a whole for the actions of a few, and not actually addressing the root cause. Others have made comment about the team suffering for one. I disagree 100% in this context. This is not the Marines. The problem child would not have made it through boot camp. This is 12U softball. If you don't like what he has to say...then leave. Put your kid in a better situation. The coach's lack of leadership in handling this situation would be enough for me to not want my kid playing for him. When looking for a new team... meet the coach...ask if you can observe a practice before you commit. Find a coach that has the respect of his players. You and your DD will be far better off in the long run.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles