Thoughts on team discipline for the actions of a few?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
When I was in the Army, we were all punished for the errors of one. While teaching adults to ride motorcycles, we discuss any issues privately one on one.

As a MS coach, I have this same issue this season. Part of my issue is familiarity, I've coached most of these girls in our local league. One of my best is the instigator, always screwing off, not following the rules, getting other girls to go along. But about half the team is like this, the other half plays it straight.

Because it's school ball and a paid position, I'm limited in my means of dealing with it. If it was a TB team, we'd have already had The Talk and the ringleader would be gone.

I wish I had a simple answer for how to deal with the situation, but I'm learning as I go too.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
When I was in the Army, we were all punished for the errors of one. While teaching adults to ride motorcycles, we discuss any issues privately one on one.

As a MS coach, I have this same issue this season. Part of my issue is familiarity, I've coached most of these girls in our local league. One of my best is the instigator, always screwing off, not following the rules, getting other girls to go along. But about half the team is like this, the other half plays it straight.

Because it's school ball and a paid position, I'm limited in my means of dealing with it. If it was a TB team, we'd have already had The Talk and the ringleader would be gone.

I wish I had a simple answer for how to deal with the situation, but I'm learning as I go too.

But here's the crux of the matter. This is a TB team and you and the TB coach both have the option of cutting this cancer out of the team. Cut them. Be done with it. Once it's done, the rest of the girls will get the message and shape up.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If this is low level TB the coaches should have a meeting with the player and her parents and inform them that is the attitude and behavior do not change she will be cut. High level TB cut her immediately.

Mar 10, 2016
It's not fair to the girls if this keeps happening. The coach needs to have a meeting with the parents and the player and talk about the behavior. If the coach is not strong enough to do that, I would question the leadership from the coach and I would change teams next season.

This season we have a coaching leadership issue with school ball. The MS coach has a DD on the team and really gives her special treatment. The girls know it and have lost respect for the coach. That has lead to the better players trying to stick together and leading the team in a positive manner. The coach now see that as a threat and is targeting specific girls. Seems like everyday someone different goes home in tears due to the targeting. It's really sad.

In both circumstances it's a leadership issue.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Sometimes you need a public hanging to set the tone for the rest of the team. It is especially effective when it involves a player that thinks they are all that and a bag of chips.

Feb 3, 2016
Heck that behavior wouldn't fly on my DD team. Being told how to do something more than 3 times in a practice, talking out of turn or lack of effort is met by runs to the foul pole or running around the entire field 6 times. If the girls drop a ball when warming up the pair is rewarded with 10 push-ups. Basically 3 strikes for each kid and off the team. Example: Talking back to a coach, throwing a glove down or crappy attitudes just aren't tolerated, period!

Jun 12, 2015
Sometimes you need a public hanging to set the tone for the rest of the team. It is especially effective when it involves a player that thinks they are all that and a bag of chips.

Effective and I'm sure very satisfying as well.

Aug 26, 2015
Sounds like the coach has watched Full Metal Jacket too many times.

I can hear the battle cry during warm ups now...

This is my bat. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My bat is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
Without me, my bat is useless. Without my bat, I am useless. I must swing my bat true. I must hit further than my enemy who is trying to defeat me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles